VOGONS

First post, by plutonick

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I get some weird/really fast animation when playing Shadow of the Comet.

What is your recommended core/cpu settings?

Reply 1 of 11, by ih8registrations

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Look up the recommended hardware requirements: http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/call-of-cth … -comet/techinfo

Use this to set: Set cycles to specific xt/at/386/486/586 speed.

Says minimum CPU is 286, aka AT class, so using the batch files from above, type "at" at the command line.

Reply 3 of 11, by ih8registrations

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Roughly. AT is calculated with 94*cpucycles, where cpucycles is the AT machine's speed in MHz. The original AT ran at 6 MHz, the later 339 model AT at 8 MHz, and PS/2 models 50 & 60, also 286s, ran at 10 MHz. This will put you in the ballpark, if the game still feels too fast or too slow, adjust to taste.

Reply 7 of 11, by plutonick

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Testing scene in bar

Cycles 1000
Core emulation: auto,normal,simply,dynamic.. the findings are the same
finding: Generally very low transition between scenes.Slow loading of save games. Animation seems ok. Slow responses between dialogue

So, does this leave me the only option of increasing cycles and thus having normal load times AND unfortunately fast animations?

Reply 8 of 11, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

So, does this leave me the only option of increasing cycles and thus having normal load times AND unfortunately fast animations?

Obviously something is wrong, so yes.
Other than that try the more advanced cycles options like "cycles=max 50%"
possibly adding the limit option as well (see the readme).

Reply 9 of 11, by ih8registrations

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nothing comes to mind on how to distinguish between transition, dialogue vs animation, but file access could be solved. Perhaps going to max cycles on entry of int13 and dos file routines, then set to original set cycles on the next device access.

Reply 11 of 11, by ih8registrations

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would think animation might use one of the timers, vs dialogue and transitions not doing so. If that were the culprit, maybe with the pit running off a separate clock from the cpu and added "wait states" to handle the asynchronous timing would solve it.