VOGONS

First post, by Deadsayer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Has anyone heard of this game? I'm not talking about Soul Calibur or whatever the fighting game is. It's a little known (I was surprised to find HOW little known) DOS game from 1995 I think. From an English company. The only time I've been able to get it working perfectly was on a 486 with windows 3.11 and DOS6 before my mom had that machine upgraded to a 200 mHz 6x86 Pentium equivalent from Cyrex. It hasn't worked right since. Either it would have sound but no music or music but no sound or music but no video. It's driven me nuts over the years trying to get it to work.

The problem I'm having with it in DOSBOX is that since the hard drive in DOSBOX is not actually a hard drive but a mounted folder, the game refuses to install. I guess it can tell that it's not actually a hard drive and when it doesn't detect a hard drive it gives an error message like "It looks like this system doesn't have a hard drive" and just won't install. Is there some way to trick it into thinking there's a hard drive? Has anyone else gotten this game to work in DOSBOX? If all else fails, I do have a 486 or two downstairs I need to sort out and build a working machine out and hopefully I can get it working on that once that's done, but I can't count on that.

I've gotten quite a few games like Dune II, Strife, Wolfenstein 3D and Crusader: No Remorse running in DOSBOX so I know more or less what I'm doing, but this game has been thwarting me for years.

I don't know if my system specs are relevant for this, but I'll post them just in case.

MOBO: Some generic Foxconn thing
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6400
VGA: ATI Radeon X800
RAM: 2 GB DDR2
AUDIO: Creative Sound Blaster Live!

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Reply 1 of 44, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

And your mount commands are??

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 3 of 44, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Did you install the game from inside DOSBox, or did you just copy the files over to the C:\Games folder?

Reply 4 of 44, by Deadsayer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I haven't installed it at all. I'm trying to install it. I mount both drives, switch to D drive and type install, and it asks me what drive to install. I press C on my keyboard to select C drive, and the game tells me there's no hard drive and stops the installation process.

Reply 7 of 44, by Deadsayer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

As I thought. No difference at all.

I select C drive to install to and the game says "Hang on. It seems there's no drive on this system! Please try again." and then DOSBOX completely freezes and I need to close it from windows instead of the in-box exit command normally used in DOS.

Reply 8 of 44, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

You might want to try a recent CVS build of DOSBox to see if some issue has been resolved that allows the game to be installed. http://builds.tharos-online.de/

Another option is to use a debug build of DOSBox. You can try to determine the specific issue yourself; or you can just use the debug build to create a log, and then zip that up and post it here. DOSBox debugger

Reply 9 of 44, by Deadsayer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well. That creates an interesting problem.

So I downloaded the "current DOSBOX" and managed to get the game to detect a hard drive and tell it to install and it appears to install and even creates the c:\games\tower directory into which it is supposed to install, but it doesn't install anything into that directory. Leaves it completely empty.

Weird.

Reply 10 of 44, by Deadsayer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, I've given up on trying to get it to install. Instead, I booted up my virtual windows 98 machine and copied the install directory from that to c:\games\tower

Now when I try to run the game it tells me I need to set my sound blaster settings in autoexec.bat. Set Blaster=A220 etc.

It gives me default settings to put if I don't have a soundblaster, though I do have a sound blaster and was able to go through the Tower of Souls setup and get the test audio to play. I tried the default settings in the dosbox.conf file under [autoexec] anyway with no change. I then started up the Strife setup and copied down the sound blaster settings from that and put them in the dosbox.conf file in the [autoexec] section as follows:

set blaster=A240 I5 D3 T4

Both times the settings displayed when DOSBOX executed autoexec before I tried to run the game, but it still tells me to put the settings in autoexec.bat and freezes DOSBOX when I try to run Tower of Souls.

Reply 11 of 44, by Deadsayer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here is the exact error it gives me:

FEHLENDE ODER FALSCHE BLASTER ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES SET BLASTER=A??? I? D? H? P??? T? IN YOUR AUTOEXEC.BAT TO MATCH YOUR SOUND B […]
Show full quote

FEHLENDE ODER FALSCHE BLASTER ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
SET BLASTER=A??? I? D? H? P??? T? IN YOUR AUTOEXEC.BAT
TO MATCH YOUR SOUND BLASTER SETTINGS FOR YOUR MACHINE
IF YOU HAVE NO SOUNDBLASTER CARD THEN USE: -
SET BLASETER=A220 I7 D1 T4 IN YOUR AUTOEXEC.BAT

Reply 12 of 44, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

The default settings for DOSBox and BLASTER is

A220 I7 D1 H5 T6

If you use I5 without having changed to corresponding settings in the sblaster-section of dosbox.conf, then a lot can and will go wrong.

Last edited by MiniMax on 2009-03-13, 01:00. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 14 of 44, by Deadsayer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Very same error message. I don't think the numbers I'm using are the problem. I think it's a similar issue to how the game wasn't detecting a hard drive when I was trying to install it. I think the game isn't detecting that there's an autoexec.bat.

Reply 15 of 44, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

You don't need to specify a BLASTER variable in the autoexec section of the dosbox.conf file, DOSBox builds one out of the settings for the SB, so you should only change those settings (if necessary).

If the game wants an autoexec.bat file for some reason, give it what it wants. Make one in the root of the emulated C drive; that would be the c:\games folder with your example. It's probably best to put the same BLASTER var in the autoexec that DOSBox is using. The line should be "SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 H5 T6" for the default settings.

Reply 17 of 44, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
Deadsayer wrote:

Alright. I'll give those a shot.

Are you sure there are two Hs?

Nope - my fault. It is A220 I7 D1 H5 T6

Reply 18 of 44, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

You could be fancy and put something like this in the autoexec-section:

mount C "C:\Games"
C:
del \AutoExec.Bat
echo SET BLASTER=%BLASTER% >> \AutoExec.Bat

Or you could be really fancy and do

mount C "C:\Games"
C:
copy Z:\AutoExec.Bat C:\

Reply 19 of 44, by Deadsayer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've got my drives mounting in autoexec. Have for weeks.

The autoexec.bat in the root c:\games directory worked. The game runs now and it's playable. Problem is, there is no sound. None. No music, no sound effects. Damnit.