VOGONS

First post, by bur

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a problem with Secret Agent Max. If I set the cycles too high the game runs much too fast. But if I set them so that the game runs properly the loading times get quite high.

I have it set to cycles=1200 now (on an X2 5200) and that way the game runs nice in the level but the loading takes a little long.

It's not a huge problem, but when I played this game on my 486 and real DOS it worked well. The game neither ran too fast nor was the loading taking that long. It was not even a second while now it's maybe 5s.

Reply 1 of 5, by danielc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well it might just be something you have to live with. That's the thing with emulation, it's never perfect. Many OLD-older games are actually clock dependant, I remember installing the original Ken's Labrynth on my X2 5000+ in pure DOS (my onboard soundcard has BIOS level SB16 emulation), and it was like 50000% too fast haha! Using MOSLO fixed that for me.

Regards,
CosmicDan

Reply 4 of 5, by Harekiet

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

There's a hotkey you can bind in the keymapper that will run dosbox as fast as possible at the current cycles, should press that during the loading scenes.

Reply 5 of 5, by bur

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks, I'll try the core=

The hotkey is a nice idea also but the loading doesn't take that long, having to press a button twice is more work than just waiting through it.

So you're probably right and I have to live with it. Not really a problem. Though I still don't really understand how a game can be too slow in one part and too fast in another. Whatever... 😀