VOGONS

First post, by Kashmir

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am so happy to find a usergroup that is just for people who love to play the old DOS games. I love gaming but I can't stand these first-person shooters that seems to be all you can get now. And forget me going interactive or playing online! I'm such a fuddy-duddy.

Well, I have been combing the old posts here trying to find some help. I really want to play World of Xeen again after these 15 years. I have two sets of Xeen discs. One is the original WoX that was published about the same time as the two separate games were released. I can't seem to find the original floppies. I must have dumped them. I also have the Ultimate RPG Archive version that came out sometime in the 90's.

My classic gaming computer is a PIV with an odd-sized RAM; 312, I think as a result of upgrades. Not internet connected. Floppy & CDRom ports, one USB port.

Thanks for all the help with DOS Box from this group. I ran MM3 fine, but no way is DOS Box going to recognize any of those Xeen discs. I started trying to rewrite the CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT to load some of the drivers (is that what they are?) into high memory. I can't remember how! Curses!

Can anyone here help me?

Thanks 😁

Reply 3 of 13, by Kashmir

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for providing guidance to a newbie.

Darn, I spent three days reading forums and FAQs so I would follow the proper posting rules. It really does take experience to learn a community's norms.

My question is about how to get the WoX game to run in DOS since I can't run it in DOSBox. I saw several posts about the CDROM problems with running WoX in the DOSBox forum. Hoping that I somehow had the appropriate version of the game, I downloaded the quite well-written DOSBox instructions, which I followed to the letter...twice, and still the CDROMs from both sets of WoX that I own were not recognized. One is the original WoX that was published about the same time as the two separate games were released and the other is the 90's Ultimate RPG Archive version. I don't think DOSBox is my answer although I have successfully used it for other old games.

I was hoping that there is someone out there who knows how to shove the some of the stuff up into HIMEM in order to free up enough conventional memory to run Xeen in straight DOS. I downloaded some directions for this from The Erathian Liberation Front website, but couldn't make it work. The original floppies had an option to rewrite the CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT to free up conventional memory, but of course I can't find them or the floppy disc I used 15 years ago to play on my 386 DOS-only machine.

There is one thing in DOSBox I haven't tried. I'm not experienced enough with the program to know if this will work. What if I copy the CDROMs to the hard drive and mount the directory on the hard drive as the CDROM?

I'll go try that now and let you know!

Reply 4 of 13, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

What are you trying to do?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 5 of 13, by Kashmir

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So sorry for the lack of clarity.

I am trying to run World of Xeen from the CDROMs. The discs I have seem to be the ones that won't run under DOSBox, so I am trying to reconstruct how to free up enough conventional memory to run the game under DOS. I remember being able to do that when I bought the game 15 years ago, but my DOS skills are rusty.

I was hopeful that someone on VOGONS could remind me how to do it.

Reply 6 of 13, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

http://www.dosbox.com/comp_list.php?showID=107&letter=M

The above describes some CD issues and the commands you need to run to fix them in DOSBox..

Last edited by DosFreak on 2009-04-13, 00:05. Edited 1 time in total.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 7 of 13, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

So, real MS-DOS, not DOSBox?

Reply 8 of 13, by Kashmir

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I found VOGONS looking for support for DOSBox. I tried everything I could find about running WoX with DOSBox, and none of it worked, so I decided to resort to real DOS. I've been playing with the LH commands. I seem to be failing to remember how to load the mouse and the CDROM into HIGHMEM.

DOSFreak just directed me to a DOSBox troubleshooting page I hadn't found before. Perhaps there is an answer here. ::reads WoX info:: Hmm, I hadn't tried -ioctl when mounting the CDRom drive. Oh, uh, and here's the same suggestion in a VOGONS post from 2004. Oops.

Thank you for your kindness. 😊

But if -ioctl or -aspi don't work, may I come back to ask some more about loading DOS driver in High Memory? Or should I find another forum for that?

Reply 9 of 13, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

As long as you post DOS-related questions here, you are welcome.

Reply 10 of 13, by Kashmir

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I hadn't tried the DOSBox CDROM mounting commands with -ioctl or -aspi because they were for a different version of Windows. Of course they didn't work with '98 SE.

😢

Reply 11 of 13, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

-aspi should work fine, as long as you have the aspi driver loaded, I *think*

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 13 of 13, by Kashmir

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

We-uhlll (pronounced like Doctors 4 and 10), we do brag about our 15-year-old games. Why not our 15-year-old operating systems? I still have a laptop that runs Windows '95, although I haven't powered it up for a while.

BTW, I can't get WoX to run under DOSBox on my Win XP machine either.

😜