VOGONS

General Midi in Xcom games.

Topic actions

First post, by khalbrae

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I know you've all recently helped me with a Might and Magic issue (and I am very grateful for that.) but I had managed to find and dig out my old Xcom UFO defense and Xcom Terror from the deep Cds and installed them. They work great. Just one minor snag.

Other games when I run them use my windows midi mapper when I set them to General Midi.. Xcom surprisingly doesn't. It's baffling. I want to hear what the game is "supposed" to roughly round like using the Yamaha XG software I got on sale 😉

I mean, my version even has the sounds working in the intro video. The version that was recoded for Windows (which I also have with that retro issue of PC gamer from back in the day) even lacks those sounds.

Here's how it sounds normally with fm synth music. I don't want to record the general midi music but I DO want to listen to and enjoy it with a more symphonic and emersive feeling (though the FM synth is still pretty moody and creepy in the game).

Reply 2 of 41, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Eh what? Please be brief. You install X-COM UFO Defense using DOSBox? You configure the game for General MIDI? And then what? What is missing? What is wrong? How do you know it is wrong?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 3 of 41, by khalbrae

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

the music does not play when configured to play on General Midi. In other DOS games (master of Magic, Warcraft 1 and 2, sierra games, etc) it plays via the windows midi system (in this case, my software synth)

Last edited by khalbrae on 2009-05-05, 20:07. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 41, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
[midi]
# mpu401: Type of MPU-401 to emulate.
# Possible values: intelligent, uart, none.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 7 of 41, by khalbrae

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hm... taking away the default options seems to make other games continue to work and xcom continue to fail...

uart or intelligent. change nothing
default,alsa,oss,win32,coreaudio all change nothing

I have no idea what I would put in device

Reply 8 of 41, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

the first xcom seems to produce music fine at my place. when configured for general midi as music board.

core=auto
cycles=auto limit 8000
cycleup=500
cycledown=20

and
memsize=32

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 10 of 41, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

No.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 13 of 41, by khalbrae

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have to say this game is a HELL of a lot less creepy with general midi. The music sounds a lot less alien and instead of having strange creepy vibration effects, we have long drawn out but normal sounding strings. Disappointing but worth seeing. The Geoscape music does sound pretty good though 😅

Reply 16 of 41, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think it's because protected mode games may benefit from a larger amount of memory.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)