VOGONS

City of lost children (Psygnosis 1997)

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by darius347

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys. I have some problems with running "The City of Lost Children" in DosBox(0.72). I tryed to install the game using dosbox (mount e e:\ -t cdrom) but when i typed the installation directory (C:\CITE) in the installation wizard I got this message: "Bad directory". Then I executed e:\Install.bat from windows and it worked. So now i have the game installed in c:\cite. But when I try running it from DosBox i get the message "please insert the cd". What should I do? I tryed running the game with VirtualPC under Windows 95 (the game has an windows executable wich is sayd to work only under win95) but I still couldn`t make it work.
I`m waiting for suggestions.

Reply 3 of 18, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Read my 60 Seconds Guide to DOSBox (and don't just read it - follow it too).

If that doesn't help, come back with details on how you mounted your C and D drives, how you did the install, how you configured sound, music etc.

Reading the aptly named README file will be a good idea too.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 4 of 18, by darius347

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have red the 60 seconds guide and now I was able to install it from DosBox. But when I launch the game I still get the message "Please insert the cd in the cd-rom drive".
I will tell you now more details:

So, the path of the cd is e:\

To install the game I typed as follows:
Z:\>mount c c:\cite
Z:\>mount d e:\ -t cdrom
Z:\>c:
C:\>d:
D:\>install.bat

Everything worked fine. In the end I was asked about some sound settings, drivers etc. I choosed "Creative Labs Sound Blaster 100% compatible" wich worked fine.

Then I launched the game typing as follows:
C:\>c.bat
(c.bat is the dos executable of the game. there is one more executable "cite.exe" but it`s for windows and if i try that one, i get the message "bad parameters...")
And now the annoyng message "please insert the cd".
I should specify that not DosBox is displaying the message, but the game.

This is strange:if I try launching the game without mounting a cd-rom drive, I get this message from DosBox: "No CD-ROM found...". But if I mount a cd-rom drive as I explained, I get the same message, but from the game.

I hope I was clear enough.

Reply 5 of 18, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Hmm. It should work:

http://www.dosbox.com/comp_list.php?showID=3690

What operating system are you using? WinXP or Vista?
Was the C:\Cite folder empty before you ran INSTALL.BAT ?
Can you open that C.BAT file in Notepad, and post the content here? (unless it it really big)

Reply 8 of 18, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

When you look at the CD (say in the My Computer window), what is the name of the CD? Something like CITE ?

Reply 12 of 18, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

I am not sure what the rules are. Maybe longer than 8 will work. Try

mount d e:\ -t cdrom -label CITE_PC_ENGLISH

Reply 14 of 18, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Hmmm... Sometimes you will have better luck using an image (a so-called ISO-file) of the CD instead of the actual CD. Once you have created such an ISO from the CD, use the IMGMOUNT command instead of the normal MOUNT command.

Reply 16 of 18, by darius347

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried CITE_PC_ENG but it didn`t work. And I also tried the ISO method wich failed to. I mounted the ISO file from DOSBOX (imgmount d d:\cite.iso -t iso) and with MagicIso to but again, it didn`t work. Maybe the cd i have is corrupt (it`s not an official cd from the publishers...) Anyway, the game doesn`t seems to be a masterpiece so I think I will give up. thanks anyway for your help.

Reply 17 of 18, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I can't reproduce the problem; game seems to work OK using an image of the disc with DOSBox 0.72; same long label as yours. The disc has audio tracks, so you should use a BIN/CUE image. I can only suggest that you're missing some small detail in correctly running the game, like changing default directory to C:\CITE before running C.BAT, or maybe you should use SB16, as I did, instead of plain SB. It's also possible that your disc is flawed, but that should probably turn up when making an image of the disc...

Reply 18 of 18, by JustPassingByToSayHi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, after 14 years of the hiatus, I stumbled upon this topic while I was trying to solve the same problem. There seems to be no working solution on the Internet, so I'll be the first to propose one 😀

To get rid of the "Please insert the CD" message, mount the bin/cue files using the following command:

IMGMOUNT D "%path_to_bin_cue_files%\TCOLC.cue" -t iso -label CITE_PC_ENGLISH

It worked for me, and I hope it will work for you (whoever will read this) as well.

Cheers,