VOGONS

Ultima Series for DOSBox

Topic actions

First post, by JonGM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Which games of the Ultima Series will work with the DOSBox? and does anyone know of a good how-to play the Ultima Series on PC?

Reply 2 of 35, by JonGM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

well, at least I'm smart enough to know you're pointing out an obvious that I obviously don't know, thanka!

Anyone have a slightly less snyde response? 😜 I've been looking all over the internet for a good tutorial on how to get all the Ultima games working on the PC, but it's all very scattered. I can't find anything on the entire series, just individual games, and even those are a little choppy.

I don't know much about DOSbox, and I don't know much about the ultima series. My hope is to find an Ultima fan on these forums that might have an answer for me.

Reply 3 of 35, by JonGM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

dug deaper and found the games list. I gotta say, this thing you guys have created is pretty tootin nifty (yea, i said nifty). Keep up the good work, I bet this thing has brought a lot of people a lot of joy.

Reply 4 of 35, by wildweasel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What Freddo said above is pretty much the indisputable truth: literally every Ultima game can be run from DOSBox, as long as it's actually a DOS game. The only ones that do not fall under this category are Ascension and the Online series. I've managed to get every one of the Ultima games running in DOSBox (some required a bit of tweaking, especially the first four and Pagan).

wwsig2-button1.pngwwsig2-center.pngwwsig2-button2.png

Reply 5 of 35, by TeaRex

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It should be stated though that Ultima II and III are meant for a graphics mode that DOSBox does not support (CGA 320x200 mixed-color-and-artifacting composite graphics). So they will look like they would on most newer PCs in native mode, but not the way they were supposed to look when they came out.

Also the PC releases for Ultima I through V are generally not considered the best versions of those games - the PC was not yet a very good gaming platform in those days, so the original Apple releases (and the Commodore ones) are usually more feature complete and less buggy.

DOSBox is ideally suited for playing Ultima VI through VIII though.

tearex

Reply 6 of 35, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TeaRex wrote:

It should be stated though that Ultima II and III are meant for a graphics mode that DOSBox does not support (CGA 320x200 mixed-color-and-artifacting composite graphics). So they will look like they would on most newer PCs in native mode, but not the way they were supposed to look when they came out.

I'm confused - DOSBox is able to emulate CGA composite mode graphics... I'm pretty sure the composite color screenshots on MobyGames for Ultima 2 are from DOSBox.

Reply 7 of 35, by TeaRex

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
HunterZ wrote:

I'm confused - DOSBox is able to emulate CGA composite mode graphics... I'm pretty sure the composite color screenshots on MobyGames for Ultima 2 are from DOSBox.

I'm aware that the 640x200 purely artifact based composite color mode is supported with machine=cga. But that's not the mode Ultima II and III use.

How do you turn it on for the 320x200 mixed mode? I have found no way to do it.

Given that straight lines on those screenshots on Moby aren't totally straight, I assume these are real "screen shots" i.e. photgraphs of a real composite monitor.

tearex

Reply 8 of 35, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

They look perfectly straight and centered to me, with no glare. *shrug* Hopefully someone can answer your question though, I haven't tried myself and haven't played with CGA composite emulation in DOSBox much yet.

Reply 9 of 35, by TeaRex

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
HunterZ wrote:

They look perfectly straight and centered to me, with no glare.

You're right, in fact. My own CRT monitor was playing games with my eyes it seems.

Still I don't know how they did those images, or how to enable that mode in DOSBox as I said.

EDIT: I just saw that those screenshots were done by NewRisingSun. I think he has a private patch to DOSBox for this very purpose. There was some discussion of it on these boards a while ago, but, for some reason that I forgot, ultimately the patch didn't make it into the standard DOSBox releases.

tearex

Reply 11 of 35, by TeaRex

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
wd wrote:

The "code" he did (algorithm) is in dosbox. For a few games it'd be additionally
required to force-select that mode.

Thanks wd. There is currently no option to do this "force-selection" from dosbox.conf. right?

Have you considered maybe splitting machine=cga in two, e.g. machine=cgargb and machine=cgacomposite? I guess you have, and have decided against it, right? I'd love to know the reasons if you mind. Thanks!

tearex

Reply 12 of 35, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

There is currently no option to do this "force-selection" from dosbox.conf. right?

Nope.

Have you considered maybe splitting machine=cga in two, e.g. machine=cgargb and machine=cgacomposite?

I don't care about this stuff for several reasons, but of course this would be possible.

Reply 14 of 35, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

at the time I didn't like the idea of having a lot machines which were almost not going to be used.
Nowadays I might reconsider as we have lots of machines. Still the amount of games that need it is quite small as far as I know

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 17 of 35, by TeaRex

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tsyu wrote:

I think it's a better idea to allow the user to toggle between RGB and composite with a key combination, if that's possible.

Sure, but being able to set a default from dosbox.conf would be good for front-end users; then you could set up every game the way it needs to be.

Maybe machine= wouldn't be the right place, it is already a bit overloaded. Maybe "screen=rgb" and "screen=composite"? "screen=auto" could then represent the present behaviour, where the mode that's only ever used by composite-specific games (640x200 with burst bit set) displays composite, while the others do RGB.

For the "machine=cgacomposite" (or "screen=composite"), this would allow emulating the difference between Modes 0&1, 2&3, and 4&5 respectively; which differ only in whether the burst bit is set.

Of course maybe I should quit talking out of my .... and just implement it?

EDIT: Typo

tearex

Reply 18 of 35, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Showing "color composite graphics" is both a function of the monitor and the adapter. Most CGA games using the 320x200 will show color if connected directly to a color composite monitor, some will show black and white. Same with games using 640x200 or text.

Actually, I think that machine should be split into two or three categories.

The first category is indeed machine type, but this only tells the program the manufacturer of the machine. In these categories we could have "generic", "Tandy", "IBM", "Amstrad" (if support is added) and "IBM PCjr." Optional BIOS support would be nice (for those games that require BASIC in ROM).

Second category would be graphics adapter and we could have:
CGA
HGC
TGA
EGA
VGA
SVGA (varieties)
(IBM PCjr. does not allow selection of an adapter for simplicity's sake)

Third category would be monitor type. Some adapters would not have a choice here, but others would:
MDA/HGC: TTL Mono
CGA/TGA/PCJr.: RGB, Mono Composite, Color Composite
EGA: RGB, TTL Mono
VGA/SVGA: Color, Mono

An auto choice here would select the first listed option for each adapter.
Mono Color: White, Amber, Green

By the way, the later Tandy machines supported CGA, TGA+, and MDA/HGC all in one. I understand the compatibility to be solid. One video adapter could replace many other choices if used with a manufacturer.

Last edited by Great Hierophant on 2009-05-25, 15:30. Edited 1 time in total.