VOGONS

First post, by visitor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am using an dos based application which runs smoothly in Windows 98 too. But when I am trying to run it in XP it fails to run giving error massage Insufficient files provided by dos contact "vendor name". So I downloaded the DOSBOX 0.72 and tried to run it but again same massage is appearing. What should I do.

Plz help

My pc configuration is

2 GB Ram
pentium Core 2 duo proccesor.

Thanks

Attachments

• Filename
    Application.rar
    File size
    490.34 KiB
    Downloads
    150 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 10, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The number of available file handles can be changed in DOSBox by recompiling only. In Windows XP it's a little easier: edit the file C:\Windows\system32\config.nt (assuming Windows XP is installed in C:\Windows). There's a line in there that, by default, reads "files=40". The maximum value for it is 255.

Edit: It doesn't actually seem to work for this program, so something else is going on. Hooray for crappy software with bad error messages.

Reply 2 of 10, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

This app wants the addresses for INT 1 and INT 3 to point at an IRET instruction, which I guess is to ensure a debugger isn't active. DOSBox's default handler calls its internal callback before the IRET, which the paranoid app doesn't like and comes up with the bogus error about the amount of files. I've attached a small TSR program that points the two interrupts at an IRET, which allows the app to get to its main menu. If there are further problems, which wouldn't surprise me, you could try booting real DOS inside DOSBox; or perhaps use a more general-purpose DOS virtualization software.

Attachments

• Filename
    IRET1_3.ZIP
    File size
    152 Bytes
    Downloads
    151 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 3 of 10, by visitor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the patch this seems to work fine. Though I have to run this exe every time I open DOSBOX. But its ok as I can atleast run the application. Waiting the DOS BOX to incorporate this wonderfull utility in the main application.

Thanks

Reply 5 of 10, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Thanks for the patch this seems to work fine. Though I have to run this exe every time I open DOSBOX. But its ok as I can atleast run the application. Waiting the DOS BOX to incorporate this wonderfull utility in the main application

That's why there is an autoexec section in the dosbox.conf 😀
Or you could write a small batch file with both the ireti program and your program in it, so you only have to start the batch and both will be run...

Edit: NOOOO... hal beat me to it 😀

Reply 6 of 10, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
visitor wrote:

Thanks for the patch this seems to work fine. Though I have to run this exe every time I open DOSBOX. But its ok as I can atleast run the application. Waiting the DOS BOX to incorporate this wonderfull utility in the main application.

Thanks

Don't hold your breath. DOSBox doesn't incorporate utilities.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 8 of 10, by visitor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It working. Now my question is that is there any way that by clicking the DOSBOX exe I straight away open this application. Is it possible as I have to mount the drive again and again and also run this utility.

Thanks

Reply 10 of 10, by IIGS_User

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
visitor wrote:

It working. Now my question is that is there any way that by clicking the DOSBOX exe I straight away open this application. Is it possible as I have to mount the drive again and again and also run this utility.
Thanks

Qbix wrote:

yes, that is possible

h-a-l-9000 wrote:

-> [autoexec]

We are talking about the [autoexec] section in DOSBox configuration file (usually called dosbox.conf). 😉

Klimawandel.