VOGONS

First post, by diego gr

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

We play MAX (Interplay) online, but the game gets terribly slow only when other players join the game
When playing single player, the game backs to normal

Our ping is 100ms, using DOSBox+Hamachi to play.
Do you know how to solve this?

Reply 1 of 18, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Have you tried it without Hamachi? Hamachi (or any VPN) when using DOSBox is only needed if you are unable or incapable of modifying your firewall config.

Last edited by DosFreak on 2009-05-24, 19:55. Edited 1 time in total.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 18, by diego gr

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Have you tried it without Hamachi? Hamachi (or any VPN) is only needed if you are unable or incapable of modifying your firewall config.

How do we play without Hamachi?
What's the IP we need to tell DOSBOX connect?
How do I get my real IP?

100ms is more than an IPX network would have had back then.

I did not understand. You're saying that 100ms is too high in this case?

By the way, we are playing withou sound, and turn off all the emulations on CONF file.

Reply 5 of 18, by ripa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can get your IP address from the network control panel (at least on Windows XP). Doubleclick on Local Area Connection and check out the Support tab. If your IP address begins with 192.168 then you have a network address translation device (probably your home router), in which case you have to get your external ip address from some "show your IP" website or your router's configuration page. Network address translation also implies that you have to direct all the incoming connections to your computer. This can usually be done with the router's configuration.

Reply 6 of 18, by diego gr

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you so much, RIPA!

My computer use a modem/router.

It is like this:
The modem is 10.1.1.1
The computer is 10.1.1.2

I discovered my real IP from a website.

What should I do to connect two DOSBoxes using REAL IP?
Do you know if it's possible?

Reply 7 of 18, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Probably before you bother you should just put the computer hosting DOSBox into a DMZ.
Start the server.
Have your users connect to your IP.

Note that doing so will bypass the protection your router gives your computer so make sure that your computer has it's firewall enabled and be sure to take your computer out of the DMZ when done.

If your game is still slow then don't bother with changing your firewall config.
If game speed is improved then you'll need to setup port forwarding from your router to your computer.

or if you don't want to mess around with your router you can just plug your internet connection straight into your laptop instead of your router. Again verify the firewall on your laptop is enabled before doing so.

Reply 10 of 18, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

A word of caution: It is okay to use this "put PC in DMZ" while experimenting because it can eliminate a lot of problems caused by whatever firewall you have in your router/modem. So that is one less problem worry about when trying to get 2 PC's to communicate. But once you have sorted out any problems caused by:

1) Network address translation (NAT) in the router
2) Problems caused by whatever firewall you have running on the PC
3) Problems associated with DOSBox and networking

then I strongly recommend that you secure the PC again by moving it out of that un-secure DMZ, and back into safety behind the router/firewall.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 12 of 18, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't think anyone wants to be responsible for breaking your internet connection.....that's why we'd like to leave it up to you......

Reply 13 of 18, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
diego gr wrote:

Ok, thanks again for the help.

Is this you're talking about?

Yep. Enter the IP of your PC and the router will forward all incoming traffic from the Internet to that address ( = your PC).

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 14 of 18, by ripa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'll bite. You probably (confirm by reading your router's manual) have to put your internal IP into that field (in this case 10.1.1.2) and then save the settings (and perhaps restart the router).

Then you can be the IPXNET server (IPXNET STARTSERVER <port>). Others can connect to your Dosbox with your external IP (IPXNET CONNECT <address> <port> ). Others don't have to change their router settings. Make sure your (and others') software firewalls (e.g. Windows firewall) let Dosbox through.

DMZ makes your computer visible to the Internet. Instead of DMZ, you can use those Virtual Servers to redirect only certain UDP ports (i.e. the one that you set your IPXNET server to listen to) to your computer.

PS: it's easy to disable your internet connection with those settings.

PS2: this is assuming that other players are across the Internet. If they're on your LAN (or otherwise inside your network address translated domain), they have to use your internal IP to connect.

Reply 15 of 18, by diego gr

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

We can play the game, but I don't understant this:
The game runs real fast when singleplayer, but when we do a multiplayer game, it's like running it on a 386 33MHz, real slow

Reply 17 of 18, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
diego gr wrote:

We can play the game, but I don't understant this:
The game runs real fast when singleplayer, but when we do a multiplayer game, it's like running it on a 386 33MHz, real slow

These games were meant for play on a LAN which has vastly lower latency than the internet.

I'm not sure how or if DOS games have internal code to handly latency but if they do it's for latency on a LAN NOT on the internet so it's highly likely that the speed your getting is the speed the game needs for a stable connection for how the internal multiplayer code was programmed.

The only way around it is to have multiple DOSBox sessions on a single PC that users would remote desktop to and play on the same PC. Depending on the game this would require mutiple cores/processors though.

Reply 18 of 18, by diego gr

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I think a found the "serial thing" here:

http://www.dedoimedo.com/games/reviving/dosbo … layer_cont.html

As soon as possible I will make it, but using the Hamachi's IP instead of that 192.x.x.x IP

Thanks for all your help, it's very important.