VOGONS

First post, by angrylion

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is it possible to make Trucks work in DOSBox?
I'm getting glitches like these with every DOSBox version, including official 0.73. I've also tried every machine= setting in .conf file.
files/image1_830.png

This was discussed once in 2005:
VIDEO - Multiple SVGA Chipset patch (commited)

Reply 1 of 5, by kolano

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm also having trouble with this game. Though it is listed as compatible in the current compatibility list, I can't even start it with DOSBox .74.

It starts then crashes DOSBox with errors such as...
Exit to error: Illegal descriptor type 0 for int 2F
...or hangs, with errors like...
Illegal read from ffffd045, CS:IP 0: 426

Reply 2 of 5, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The problem with the glitched graphics that this thread originally referred to should be fixed in 0.74. I can't reproduce the errors you report, the game is working fine here. Please give some additional details like your conf settings, are you using a disc image or real disc, drive mountings, etc.

Reply 3 of 5, by Orka Borka

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Other than being a quite mediocre game, Trucks seems to really mess with the internal renderer of Dosbox. In short, the most common error it's a weird doubling of the width, and it's extremely pronounced when "aspect" is set to false (when set to true, it roughly doubles the whole image). But there are a lot of corner cases, so the best way I found to show them was a spreadsheet file. Let's just say that the errors range from a weird aspect ratio to not being able to take a screenshot at all.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AsON … pqbW14MEE#gid=0

Here's a brief explanation for the labels:

Video Output when Aspect Ratio set to true: the image shown by the program window, under Mac Os X (hence the weird yellow/green color cast), with the config parameter "aspect" set to true.

DosBox internal screenshot, Video Output when Aspect Ratio set to false: basically when the aspect flag is set to false, the video output matches the internal screenshot of DosBox. I'm showing just the dosbox screenshots. They matches the screenshots taken while aspect is set to true, by the way.

correct resolution, correct aspect ratio: basically the output is the same as what's shown from the application.

scales to 640x480, correct / wrong aspect ratio: the image shown differs from what the game says, it keeps a 4:3 ratio or not.

weird interlacing: when aspect is set to true, 640x350 and 640x400 show uneven black lines.

flickering during intro: the menu shows no error, but the initial 3d intro flickers a bit.

Application Restart: if the application is quit when resolution is set to640x480 or 800x600 and dosbox is restarted, then the next time the game is started in 640x480 and 800x600 mode it will show for those the right resolution and aspect ratio, whatever "aspect" is set to.
During this time, getting a 800x600 screenshot works correctly.
If then I change the resolution back to less than 640x480 and go back , it shows again the old behaviour.

Going over 800x600 always makes the application crash with a "Not enough memory for ZBuffer !!!" error.

Here's my settings file, by the way. not too many changes from stock config except the aspect ratio settings.

Yeah, I know. Too much free times on my hands.

Attachments

Reply 4 of 5, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I'm not seeing any aspect ratio issues in Trucks. FYI, DOSBox forces 4:3 aspect on all modes 640x480 or higher... at least that's the intention; SDL could have other plans with certain platforms/environments.

In addition to its options menu, Trucks has some command line parameters you can experiment with; enter "Trucks -?" to get a list of them. Disabling UNIVBE and using only DOSBox's built-in VBE2 support is one thing you could try. I have found Rob Muller's modified UNIVBE drivers to be helpful for a few games.

Reply 5 of 5, by Orka Borka

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The most glaring difference shown by disabling UNIVIBE is that image size keeps being correctly proportioned even when aspect is set to false. Resolution still differs from what the application says (that is, 320x480 is rendered as 640x480; but at this point this could be meant as the expected behaviour from dosbox), 512x384 becomes unavailable from the menu and 800x600 and 640x480 appear to be both visually and proportionally correct, but flicker a lot.

if aspect is set to true and UNIVIBE is disabled then the behaviour is the same as "aspect = false",except for 640x400 which shows...ugh, "this". Double vertical resolution with scanlines. No idea why.

Attachments