VOGONS

First post, by VisitntX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello everyone. Today I wanted to play the game "Ecco the Dolphin" (This game has the option of playing both Windows 95 and Windows 3.1), I have DOSBox 0.73 installed with a Windows 3.1, with everything set (video, with the drivers for the board S3, drivers for sound blaster 16, etc.). but the problem starts when the game is installed and detects that missing something called "DCI Capability," after that error, the game makes another error, this time is "No Audio CD capability", after these two problems, the game is finally installed, when I run it, I can play without problems, but the music is not heard (by the error which gave the game before).
Anyone know any way that this game does not have these errors?

Thanks a lot in advance 😉

Reply 1 of 10, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I believe you need WinG installed to use DCI.

If the game has a CD audio track then you'll need to use the appropriate switches when mounting the CD or you'll need to make a bin/cue image of the CD and use imgmount to mount the CD before starting Windows 3.1.

You may also need to set up something for CD Audio in the Sound section of the Control Panel in Windows 3.1. Can't remember...

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 10, by VisitntX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello DosFreak, yes, I already install the WinG but that does not fix the problem, I mounted the image correctly, but the problem must be something else. How do I use in Windows 3.1 the cda?

Reply 3 of 10, by VisitntX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Now, the cdaudio in windows 3.1 works(I had forgotten to install the corresponding driver), but the game still will not let me playing in hi-res mode, the same problem as mentioned above (the "DCI Capability error"), some help with this?
Thanks 😉

Reply 5 of 10, by Miki Maus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/video-faq/54-What-is-DCI.html

What is DCI? DCI stands for "Device Control Interface." It's an Intel/Microsoft standard, and exists primarily as a way for Wind […]
Show full quote

What is DCI?
DCI stands for "Device Control Interface." It's an Intel/Microsoft standard, and exists primarily as a way for Windows 3.1 to exploit the video acceleration features of a graphics card, and/or to provide fast video when needed -- for example, the WinG games library uses DCI. A DCI driver exists at the same software layer as the GDI.

Among DCI's capabilities are the ability to write directly to the frame buffer (helpful for high-speed games) and the ability to provide for on-board hardware acceleration of video scaling (i.e. stretching a video window to a larger size) and color space conversion (converting the YUV format color information in a video file to the RGB format that a typical graphics card RAMDAC expects). Note that support for DCI features doesn't need to be in hardware -- a graphics card vendor could provide a DCI driver that allowed Windows 3.1 apps to speak DCI, but the graphics card could be performing the DCI functions with a software driver.

Note: with Windows 95, DCI will be replaced by an expanded interface called DirectDraw.