VOGONS

First post, by gumpy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm having a problem with The Faery Tale Adventure by MicroIllusions. I tried running it in Dosbox 0.73 and earlier versions such as Dosbox 0.72. I'm running the game with EGA graphics mode (With dosbox set for a VGA machine) if I use a bird totem for the overhead map, when it goes back to the game screen after I click out of the map, all the graphics on the screen get all garbled up, and the game becomes unplayable. I tried setting dosbox to a EGA machine, but then the status and menu box at the bottom of the screen bounces back and forth whenever the screen scrolls.

Reply 2 of 5, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The gfx corruption occurs with the ega,vgaonly,and all svga_xxxx machine types. However, it also happens when running the game in the WinXP NTVDM, so it may be that the EGA version of the game is broken. There is a workaround: do not move the mouse pointer at all until you close the map (pressing a key is easier because when clicking a mouse button you might move the pointer a bit).

The CGA version of the game does not have the same problem, but I notice it uses a plain arrow for the mouse pointer instead of the EGA version's crossbow pointer, so the problem may relate to the fancy pointer. The floaty status bar with machine=ega while scrolling the screen left/right might be something the devs want to investigate.

Reply 3 of 5, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ripsaw8080 wrote:

The gfx corruption occurs with the ega,vgaonly,and all svga_xxxx machine types. However, it also happens when running the game in the WinXP NTVDM, so it may be that the EGA version of the game is broken. There is a workaround: do not move the mouse pointer at all until you close the map (pressing a key is easier because when clicking a mouse button you might move the pointer a bit).

It also happens on a real 286 16mhz and 386 40mhz (tried with many vga/svga cards). It may be wort noticing that mouse cursor is frozen while in map mode, while in cga mode in map mode you can move the cursor and you see it is moving.
You can access map with F8 and close with any keyboard button.

ripsaw8080 wrote:

The floaty status bar with machine=ega while scrolling the screen left/right might be something the devs want to investigate.

May be worth to check with a real ega card (I don't have). Although even with machine=vga/svga there a short line of flowing pixels in the right bottom corner that flows while the screen is scrolling. (on real computers too).

BTW - I wonder whether anyone has a tandy version to check with machine=tandy?

Reply 4 of 5, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

On two different EGA cards both parts of the screen are rock solid and no funny flickering pixels at the bottom. I didn't try to reproduce the coruption as the input scheme of the game makes no sence to me at all.

1+1=10