VOGONS

First post, by jenergy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's not a problem, but is there a particular title that you want to work with first? DOTT is 95% compatible with ScummVM, so I'd say try that first.
Yes,thank you,I know scummvm,but I'd like to use it also with dosbox..probably I can't use them because I tried the cvs version,not the 0.58 version,I'll try.

My question was essentially for game "Soccer Kid",which doesn't want emm,but If I write emmsize=0 in config file,it says I have to remove emm before launch game..any help?
Thank you

Last edited by jenergy on 2003-09-05, 11:39. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 4, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by jenergy Yes,thank you,I know scummvm,but I'd like to use it also with dosbox

? Erm. Ok. Realize that ScummVM was specifically made for Lucas titles like DOTT, so running it in DosBox will probably suffer by comparison.

..probably I can't use them because I tried the cvs version,not the 0.58 version,I'll try.

Actually the CVS release, the Beta, and the official release all have a problem with it.

My question was essentially for game "Soccer Kid",which doesn't want emm,but If I write emmsize=0 in config file,it says I have to remove emm before launch game..any help?

jenergy, the original message you saw was

EMM present - Soccer kid cannot run with an EMM driver Please remove EMM driver from config.sys […]
Show full quote

EMM present -

Soccer kid cannot run with an EMM driver

Please remove EMM driver from config.sys

, so you know you need to disable EMS, but you have to use the configuration format that DosBox uses (not CONFIG.SYS), which is

ems=0
or
ems=false

, not EMM.

Also, it must be place under the DOS header in the configuration file, like this:

[dos] # Setting a memory size to 0 will disable it. xms=true ems=0 […]
Show full quote

[dos]
# Setting a memory size to 0 will disable it.
xms=true
ems=0

Unfortunately, the audio system seems to be doing something nasty. If you configure it to run in silence, it runs fine (with CVS release of DosBox). With any audio, it crashes or locks up quickly at the start of the game.

The best response I got was from the unreleased Beta which seems to lockup after the first in-game sound effect is played.

For the developers/programmers, basically the first sound effect causes a huge number of [code]332875384: PAGING:Write 0 to ROM at F2769[/code] type messages, finally ending with [code]332875384: PAGING:Write 0 to ROM at F2768
332875384: PAGING:Write ED to ROM at F2765
332875384: PAGING:Write A6 to ROM at F2766
332875827: IO:IO:Out or range write 332 to port 16B9
332875827: IO:IO:Out or range write 02 to port 16BA
332875828: PAGING:Write EE to ROM at F72C0[/code] where it just sits there.

Reply 2 of 4, by jenergy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

thank you for answer!

so you know you need to disable EMS, but you have to use the configuration format that DosBox uses (not CONFIG.SYS)
Yes,I know!

ems=0, not EMM
Yes,you're right,that was the problem,thank you very much!

Reply 3 of 4, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:
For the developers/programmers, basically the first sound effect causes a huge number of […]
Show full quote

For the developers/programmers, basically the first sound effect causes a huge number of

332875384: PAGING:Write 0 to ROM at F2769

type messages, finally ending with

332875384: PAGING:Write 0 to ROM at F2768
332875384: PAGING:Write ED to ROM at F2765
332875384: PAGING:Write A6 to ROM at F2766
332875827: IO:IO:Out or range write 332 to port 16B9
332875827: IO:IO:Out or range write 02 to port 16BA
332875828: PAGING:Write EE to ROM at F72C0

where it just sits there.

Yeah probably an interrupt going wrong (irq actually)

happend a lot with sound being played. Harkiet has fixed several issues with it so it might work now.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 4 of 4, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Qbix happend a lot with sound being played. Harkiet has fixed several issues with it so it might work now.

Still bombs out on the latest CVS. He could run it in silence or try find a working Amiga version.

From what I've heard, this is one of the few PC ports that played the original Amiga MOD music. Could be that it's choking on the custom MOD player.