VOGONS

First post, by codone

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all, I wanted to mention my experience tonight with the new 0.73 DosBox. After my upgrade from 0.72 (and trying with the old java DosBox Game Launcher , and the new .65 which supports the new 0.73 Dosbox). I've run into a problem running the old robot RTS called "Z".

"Z" has always run fine with a few previous versions of Dosbox, but with 0.73, when I hit "NEW GAME" (in the Z menu) it goes black and locks up, and eventually exits back to windows. Strangely, it allowed me to load a saved game, and seemed to work fine -- only "NEW GAME" has the problem.

I load Dosbox 0.72 and it again works fine on "NEW GAME".

I am using files copied from the original CD that I own, I mount a C drive for the installed files, and a CD image for the CD. Again, it all has worked fine for years of on and off play for at least 2-3 previous versions of Dosbox.

I'd give more info, but I'm not sure that would help much as the mounted drives all work fine, the game loads fine, and it works fine with 0.72. Again, I tried using the older version of DBGL loader, then I got the latest version 0.65 which supports Dosbox 0.73, and it did the exact same thing. I even tried slowing down the CPU rate... same problem.

Anyone else seeing this problem with "Z" ??? I am running it in SVGA mode (selected in-game from the main menu) and movies OFF.

Reply 1 of 6, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

could you try if it works if you reinstall the game using 0.73. (and check the sound configuration of the game.
in 0.73 gus is off, although if load games works then that isn't likely to be the problem)

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 4 of 6, by codone

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the suggestions and for your time testing this!

I re-installed from the original CD, and it works fine! I'm not sure what the problem is, but I guess it's moot now. FYI, I did try with UNIVBE and without, with movies on (which DID view okay) and off... tried about everything. It died when it was supposed to switch to the "LOADING level 1" screen. Just so strange it worked fine with .72 and earlier, which pointed to the same two directories!

This time, I made an ISO image of my Z CD, and mounted the ISO image (imgmount). Before I had just copied the files from the CD to a directory. Anyway, like I said, I guess its kinda moot now, since it appears to be working perfectly (It loaded okay for me 3-4 times).

Thanks again for the help and support, I really appreciate it!

I LOVE DosBox!! Thanks for all the hard work, and allowing me to play "Z" again....even multi-player, with the IPX support!

Reply 6 of 6, by codone

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It was possibly set to use the GUS sound card which is not active by default in 0.73

Was a possibility, but, I tried SETSOUND and changed it to SB16, which is the same choice I made with the new install. All sound tests (MIDI/Digital) worked fine. I turned off GUS / Disney, etc, etc... still crashed... is so weird!

Sure looks like 0.73 is working great though, I played the 1st level, and the explosions at the end now look perfect (in some older DosBox versions, they were slightly corrupted). And, it seems that setting all the CPU and CPU SPEED settings to AUTO really works well. All the sound is clear (not choppy). So much nicer than trying to find the magic "cpu cycles" number for a particular PC or game!