VOGONS

First post, by PC-48

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok so I have dosbox 0.73 and I'm trying to change the controls of arena so I can use WASD instead of the arrow keys. I use the mapper and set it up how I want it but when I start arena W won't go forward and nothing works like it should. I did remember to delete W from the Bind list so there wouldn't be 2 things bound to W except arrow up. Anyone else have this problem?

Reply 2 of 15, by PC-48

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok so I start the mapper, I click W using the mouse then click bind and then press the arrow up key on my keyboard. Then I click next and del the w key command so it is just key up when I press W.

Reply 4 of 15, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

And don't forget to save your mapperfile, too! And to load it before starting the game, of course.

Oh and, i didn't actually test that, but isn't it possible to remap all keys in the game? That would probably be more straightforward than using the keymapper.

Reply 6 of 15, by PC-48

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah in Arena you can't change any of the controls in game. I have the readme file printed in front of me so I have read it. So when I look at the mapper and I click on W it says "key up" so I just don't get what the problem is.

Reply 7 of 15, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

From what wd is saying, it sounds like you're doing the mapping backwards so that pressing up arrow on your real keyboard is pressing the W key in the emulated DOS keyboard.

Reply 11 of 15, by Malignant Manor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
wd wrote:

I think the keymapper is backwards and confusing.

It's not backwards and if you're too stupid to use it then don't use it.

The more intuitive way to do it is so that clicking on a key and then changing the value for it would have it use the set value when pressing that key. That's how every other key mapper I've used has done it.

Reply 14 of 15, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The more intuitive way to do it is so that clicking on a key and then changing the value for it would have it use the set value when pressing that key.

Keys you click on are emulated keys, keys you press are physical keys.
Not much to think about it, but feel free to not use the mapper.