VOGONS

First post, by UK_John

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

had to start a new thread as moderator closed the Battlespire problem thread, so here is a new one....

I get good framerates, the intro plays fine, all in DOSBox 0.73, I can hear the creatures when they hit each other and when they cry out out, but I get no speech when I go into dialogue and I have never heard music.

I mount c c:\batspire and d m:\ -t cdrom for the videos and waves.bsa, I get the intro movie which is pulled off the CD, but obviously waves.bsa isn't being accessed properly! Anyone had this problem with this or any other DOS game? I have tried copying the videos folder and waves.bsa to my c:\batspire folder, pointing to it with my cd mount, but it's still the same! Should I extract the files from the bsa or something?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! 😀

Reply 2 of 4, by UK_John

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
HunterZ wrote:

Not sure about speech, but the music at least is supposed to be on audio tracks on the CD.

Well, I mounted the cd and got the intro movie. I suppose the waves.bsa is the speech then,never had a problem with DOSBox not reading music tracks off CD before! Obviously reading the disk for other things!

So if you're right, I am even more confused!

Reply 3 of 4, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Maybe you need to add additional parameters to the mouse, like -ioctl or -usecd 0, or maybe your CD doesn't have the audio tracks, or maybe your computer doesn't play audio tracks correctly, or...

I ended up making a BIN/CUE rip of the CD and imgmount'ing it so that DOSBox could handle the CD audio internally. Helps a lot with responsiveness since the game grinds to a halt when it needs to switch from music mode to data mode.