VOGONS

First post, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

/C CGA mode
/C1 CGA 16 Color Composite mode, Palette 1 (standard)
/C2 CGA 16 Color Composite mode, Palette 2 (Tandy)
/E EGA mode
/M MCGA 4-color mode. (Not available on PS/2 model 25 or 30)
/T Tandy graphics mode
/V VGA mode

when i run the game with /c2 with machine=cga it has wrong colours (i guess it should be like that) but when I run the game with /c2 with machine=tandy i only see black and white colours.

Reply 3 of 5, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't have a tandy nor a pcjr. But maybe someone who has could check it. Although I think it should be black and white on tandy cause it is like that with machine=svga_s3 and /c1 too. But I guess PCJr should display 16 colours.

Reply 4 of 5, by Servo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Does dosbox differ from a real tandy in this respect?

Sort of; DOSBox does not have an option to emulate composite video artifacts with machine set to Tandy or PCjr mode, only in CGA mode and then only with the 640x200 resolution and color burst bit set. It does however correctly emulate what a Tandy 1000 with an RGB display would show.

The /c2 will display correctly in color on a real Tandy with a composite monitor. It will display with incorrect colors on a CGA with composite monitor. It will display as black and white on any system with an RGB monitor. Likewise, the /c1 will display with the incorrect colors on a Tandy but with correct colors on CGA with composite displays, and black and white on any system with RGB display.

For some reason, the hue in the 640x200 mode on Tandy 1000's (all the ones I've tried at least) is different than with a true CGA card. This game takes that into account. Kinda surprising really, I'm not sure how many Tandy 1000 owners actually used a composite display, especially in 1989; 16 colors on an RGB display was one of Tandy's selling points!

Here is what the /c2 mode looks like on a real Tandy 1000:

Attachments

• indy500-1.png
    Filename
    indy500-1.png
    File size
    483.34 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • indy500-2.png
    Filename
    indy500-2.png
    File size
    421.91 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 5 of 5, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

does however correctly emulate what a Tandy 1000 with an RGB display would show.

Thanks for the confirmation.

I don't know whether it's easy to optionally add a forced selection of the monitor
type to specify composite/rgb output, but i'll try to have a look by times.