VOGONS

First post, by kardon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am trying to use DOSBox to install Command and Conquer. So far I have mounted a folder to be my "C:" drive, but I am very computer illiterate and do not know how to proceed further. I have the ISOs for the GDI and NOD disks on my computer, and burned onto CDs.

Reply 1 of 20, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Read my 60 Seconds Guide to DOSBox (and don't just read it - follow it too). Instructions for Mac is on "page" 2.

As you have ISO-images of the disks, you can choose to use the IMGMOUNT command instead of the normal MOUNT command. See the README file for details.

If that doesn't help, come back with details on how you mounted your C and D drives, how you did the install, how you configured sound, music etc.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 2 of 20, by kardon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I got an "illegal command: win" when I tried to run the install.exe and setup.exe.

I mounted my "C:" drive by typing MOUNT C ~/DOSGAMES after creating the dosgames folder under users/[my user name]/

I mounted my cd by typing "mount D /Volumes/gdi95 -t cdrom

I typed d: to switch to the cd, then dir to see whether there was an install or setup file. There was both, but when I typed "install", "install.exe", "setup", or "setup.exe", I received an "illegal command: win" message.

The version of CnC I have is the free version available for download that was released for CnC's anniversary.

Reply 3 of 20, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Those are all Windows executables. It's likely that that version does not have the DOS install. If it is C&C for Windows 95 then it does not.

A long time ago I uses the expansion DOS files to run C&C 95 and it worked fine.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 20, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
kardon wrote:

I got an "illegal command: win" when I tried to run the install.exe and setup.exe.

Strange.

kardon wrote:

I mounted my "C:" drive by typing MOUNT C ~/DOSGAMES after creating the dosgames folder under users/[my user name]/

I mounted my cd by typing "mount D /Volumes/gdi95 -t cdrom

I typed d: to switch to the cd, then dir to see whether there was an install or setup file. There was both, but when I typed "install", "install.exe", "setup", or "setup.exe", I received an "illegal command: win" message.

SETUP is the program you should use.

kardon wrote:

The version of CnC I have is the free version available for download that was released for CnC's anniversary.

Same here. I am attaching the configuration file I used. Adjust the mount commands used, and it should work for you too.

Attachments

• Filename
    dosbox.conf
    File size
    5.45 KiB
    Downloads
    1085 downloads
    File comment
    DOSBox 0.73 configuration file for "Command & Conquer - Red Alert" by MiniMax
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 7 of 20, by kardon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have installed Red Alert instead of CnC Gold, and when trying to play it I get the message to insert the CD in the CD drive, which I did. The game cannot seem to detect it.

I have mounted the C drive and the CD drive.

I have successfully installed Red Alert.

I typed "RA" on the C:\westwood\redalert> prompt, which loads the game but tells me to insert the CD in the CDROM drive. DOSBox can see the CD, but not the game.

Reply 8 of 20, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Try adding an -ioctl option to your CD-mount command. Or better, use IMGMOUNT to mount the CD-image.

Reply 11 of 20, by kardon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

New problem. Unrevealed terrain remains unrevealed when explored. instead, what is left behind is a trail of white because the cursor is white.

Resolution also seems low, but I assume that is normal for games of that era.

Game also crashed when I tried to start a new game after aborting the first mission.

EDIT: screenshot of explored terrain being streaks instead of the actual terrain.

cncrab.th.jpg

Reply 12 of 20, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
DosFreak wrote:

I thought the C&C CD's had CD Audio tracks?

The download is an RAR-archive with an ISO-image inside.

Reply 14 of 20, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
kardon wrote:

New problem. Unrevealed terrain remains unrevealed when explored. instead, what is left behind is a trail of white because the cursor is white.

Did you install the patch that came with the download?

Reply 19 of 20, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DosFreak wrote:

I thought the C&C CD's had CD Audio tracks?

The game had its digital music streamed right out of SCORES.MIX in a proprietary, 22khz 4-bit mono format. Everything up to Tiberian Sun's expansion did this.

apsosig.png
long live PCem