VOGONS

First post, by chan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My dell 4500 pentium 4 XP home ed w/sp3 and 512ram, usb 2.0 runs radix w/dos box perfect with the keyboard controls. I am trying to use a logitech dual action usb game pad for pc's for better control but several problems are occuring:

- the setup.exe in the radix files will not recognize the game pad and let me change the function of the keys. If i accept their config. and load the game in dos box it then asks to calibrate the game pad. i calibrate using various buttons on the game pad and keys on the keyboard. It seems to accept the calibration sometimes but i have very little control once the game begins w/ up/dwn/lft/rgt. Fires, speeds up just fine.

-trying to change the setup.exe nearly 40 times has resulted in the game pad working perfect twice but not being able to duplicate the action twice in a row.

-the keyboard function in the setup.exe files works perfect as i am able to change the key functions and play the game perfect w/ the keyboard.

-the game pad functions perfect within the control panel in windows as i am able to check the calibration which is perfect.

-have downloaded the latest drivers from logitech for the dual game pad
w/ no help.

-as there are 12 functions on this game pad is it possible they are confusing the calibration within the game.

Any help would be much appreciated.

I would like to thank the developers of dos box for their work as i can now dust off those old dos games.

Last edited by chan on 2009-09-06, 15:20. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 3, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Try fixed cycles (like 55000, the game doesn't seem to need more). Also maybe play with the 'timed' config option.

The mouse is an excellent control for this game, you can aim much better 😀

1+1=10

Reply 2 of 3, by chan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
h-a-l-9000 wrote:

Try fixed cycles (like 55000, the game doesn't seem to need more). Also maybe play with the 'timed' config option.

The mouse is an excellent control for this game, you can aim much better 😀

Thanks for your suggestion h-a-l-9000. Tried setting cycles to your value and several others but it had no effect, however:

-i noticed that if i am extra careful when i calibrate the joystick portion of the game pad the game will load and work perfect but i must restart the computer each time i start radix in order for this to work. Could be the disappointing performance of the game pad although it works pretty well w/ radix. The joystick portion seems at times to give all sorts of results when rolled to achieve a purpose. The old fifteen pin pads where the best.

-Any suggestions about a good usb game pad. Hard to tell what to buy as the logitech duel may be the most compatible with these old games and dos box. 😕

Reply 3 of 3, by chan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

All early epic megagames such as radix that can use a usb joystick or gamepad will run beautiful if you change the dosbox config. file to joystick timed axis intervals to false. I have tried several different usb gamepads and all work fine with this change in the dosbox config. This does not help, however, with the old gamepads w/ a fifteen pin gameport connection. I am afraid they are lost to time. 😁