VOGONS

First post, by Wodd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I installed the game from the CD and it appears to work in the newest version of DOSBox for the most part. It appears to lag from time to time. The weird part though is that the sound effects seem quite a bit softer than they should be. As a minimum, they are certainly quite softer than the music.

1. Why would this happen?
2. Has this happened to anybody else?
3. Is there a way to fix it?

Note: I am running Windows 7 on the computer, so I cannot control the wave volume. Perhaps there is a way to do this in DOSBox. The game's sound effects' volume is all the way up as well.

Something good that I found though is that DOSBox does not override the game for pausing. Boy that was annoying when I had to press Control-F9 to close DOSBox just because the game had paused.

That is interesting, the sounds are normal volume now. I restarted the DOSBox console. The game still appears to occasionally lag, but that could be a totally different issue and not fixable.

gx1Mmkz9.jpg

Reply 3 of 7, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

When you're at a "DOS" prompt inside of DOSBox, type:
mixer

Everything should be at 100:100 by default. If not then maybe a game is lowering the emulated mixer values and not putting them back.

Reply 5 of 7, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Lag issue? I was thinking about the soft sound issue. There are some buffering options in dosbox.conf that you can tweak to help with sound lag, but if it's intermittent then there may be nothing you can do.

Reply 6 of 7, by Wodd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The sound is not what lags, it is the video. There is one area where the sound does lag, but it is actually the game in general, and I have discovered that that problem is being caused by the disc itself.

gx1Mmkz9.jpg