VOGONS

First post, by conrad

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all. Came across your great forum while trying to resurrect a number of old games and managed to make a faltering start with F2B in DosBox.

But I'm confused (happens easily 😀) over the settings. I converted the CD (which I'd bought years ago) to an ISO and placed it in a sub-folder of my laptop's D partition that I'd labeled 'dboxgame'.

I started DosBox and altered the Autoexec setting to:
mount c d:\dboxgame which seems to get me into the folder on a restart of DosBox. (Not sure about the need for "quotemarks" in the statement)

But the 'imgmount' thing puzzles me greatly. Do I enter an imgmount command line into the Autoexec file or should it just be a 'oncer', ie, manually added just one time to get access to the ISO? I tried the manual entry but nothing appeared to happen. Advice would be much appreciated 😖

Reply 1 of 4, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Imgmount needs to be specified whenever you close/open DOSBox unless you place the command in the autoexec section of DOSBox.conf

If your program doesn't need the CD when you run it then you'll only need to mount the CD when you install.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 4, by conrad

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for that. The prog calls for the CD when it runs, so I didn't want to be bothered with it, hence the creation of the ISO. Actually, it's since occurred to me that I'm probably only going to need to access the ISO once anyway, to do the install (using its 'install.exe' file) then after that I'm assuming it'll create a new sub-folder somewhere else to run from in day-to-day use. Al least that's what it does on a DOS computer. It creates a folder called F2B then on subsequent uses it looks there, as well as on the CD.

But it was the imgmount process that was baffling; it kept telling me something to the effect that 'I wasn't telling it where to put it'. Sorry to be vague, I'm just working from memory.

Perhaps you'd be kind enough to tell me what my imgmount command line should be, given the parameters and locations I used (in my first post)?

Thanks.

Reply 4 of 4, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Use of the imgmount command can be thought of as equivalent to sticking a physical CD-ROM into a real DOS computer, except that under the hood DOSBox is really reading from an image file (ISO/BIN-CUE/whatever).

imgmount works just like the mount command, except that instead of giving it a path to mount to a drive letter, you give it the path and filename of the CD-ROM image file (note that the path should be relative to the host's filesystem, not the virtual one inside of DOSBox).