VOGONS

Elder Scrolls 1 - Arena

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Zedd56

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am running a dual Core P4 machine w/3GB RAM, NVidia FX 8400 GS 512MB Video Card and a 24" AOC slim monitor. I don't have too many problems running Dosbox with most of my old DOS programs, but I can't seem to get Arena to work.

I get an in game error "Memroy List Blown" right after Ria Slimane's Dialogue to the new;y created Hero and the game aborts.

I have tried increasing the memory size (in the configuration), I have tried turning off all but the desktop, I even tried to run it from the Windows DOS prompt but nothing seems to work

My OS is WinXP SP3 and I have tried this with DosBox .063, .072, and .073 and nothing seems to work. My daughter is a really big fan of that game and I sure would like to get it runing for her.

Any help would be appreciated. 😅

Reply 1 of 29, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Never seen that error before. May want to try asking on the Bethesda forum.

A quick search of the net say's it may be a corrupted savegame problem or a too little or too much memory.

Could try running loadfix before playing the game.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 29, by Zedd56

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanx, I knew it was an external program in DOS, but I don't have it in my DOS directory. I check several sites to see if I could download it, with no luck at all. I didn't even think to check the DosBox directory 😊

Reply 5 of 29, by Zedd56

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, that didn't work. I added loadfix to the config file, thusly:

loadfix
mount c c:\DOSGAMES
c:

I know it worked because I got the message:

Z:>loadfix
64KB allocated
DOSGAMES mounted as drive C:
C:\>

when I typed in the directory contining the game and the startup filename,
I got the same error at the same place "memory list blown".

This is driving me nuts, never happened to me before and I have played this game plenty of times in the past.

By the way, I tried this with both my old tried and true V.063 and the latest .073 - same result. 🙁 😅

Reply 8 of 29, by Zedd56

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes I am using V1.06, downloaded from their site several years ago.

It was running fine on my old Celeron 1.7Ghz/1GB RAM Machine, but since I upgraded to a 2.5Ghz Dual Core/4GB RAM system and an updated Graphics Card (NVidiea FX 8400 GS/512MB RAM) . I get ths strange error and CTD.

Most of my old DOS programs still run fine (Master of Magic, Wacraft I, Pools of Darkness, etc.) under DosBox .063. Oddly enough, I have more free upper memory (568KB) with DosBox .063 than I do with .073 (only 508KB) so some of my DOS programs that require more upper memory will run under .063 but not .073

Oh well, I have been using DosBox for several years now without incident until now so I guess I'll just have to live with it.

P.S. I just downloaded Daggerfall from the Bethesda site (it's freeware now), but am having big programs installing it. I do not have the disk any more so was very happy to see the downloadable version show up. Their install docs are very skimpy so it's a trial and error thing to install it

Reply 10 of 29, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Zedd56 wrote:

P.S. I just downloaded Daggerfall from the Bethesda site (it's freeware now), but am having big programs installing it. I do not have the disk any more so was very happy to see the downloadable version show up. Their install docs are very skimpy so it's a trial and error thing to install it

Follow the guides on the forum.

Bethesda didn't bother to do any work when they released it. I remember hearing about someone who recently started working there who was working on a DOSBox packaged Daggerfall but don't know what came of that.

Ideally they'd just let GOG release it for free.

Reply 11 of 29, by temptingthelure

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DosFreak wrote:
Follow the guides on the forum. […]
Show full quote
Zedd56 wrote:

Follow the guides on the forum.

Bethesda didn't bother to do any work when they released it. I remember hearing about someone who recently started working there who was working on a DOSBox packaged Daggerfall but don't know what came of that.

Ideally they'd just let GOG release it for free.

Yeah, they should do that. Why do they bother releasing this if they just put the original binaries in one package and dropped that. Seems more like taking out the trash than actually releasing something for the fans.

Reply 12 of 29, by greywolf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, Arena does run under DosBox 0.73. What you are saying about abending during the dream sequence with Ria rings a bell - I must have had the same problem, but not recently.
When I compared my arena.conf with the standard dosbox.conf, I noticed 2 differences, which may or may not be related withe the problem. Firstly, "output=overlay", and secondly, "memsize=64". It may be worth trying.

If you follow the Daggerfall installation guidelines for DosBox, you should be able to run Daggerfall without a problem. Good luck!

Reply 13 of 29, by Zedd56

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Nope changing those two parameters didn't fix it. Still getting the same error at the same place - right after character creation and at the end of Ria's dialog.

I'm begining to think it is a hardware problem because it did run fine with my old 1.7Ghz Celeron system under Dosbox .063.

Thanx for your and (all the others) efforts, but I am about to give up on it now. I don't have ny old machine any more so I can't try it there either.

As far as Daggerfall is concerned, I can get the sound cofiguration routine accomplshed, but when I try to start the game installation it aborts. I'm doing something wrong, I know. I always thought that game was written for Win95 so it should be able to be run with WinXP under Win95 compatability setings or am I missing something here too.

Reply 14 of 29, by Zedd56

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK folks . . . problem solved!!! The game files were somehow corrupted. I took the advice given me and downloaded and installed it again and it rums fine now.

A second note regarding Daggerfall. . I disregarded the advice I have been trying to pound into my son's head for a long time now . . "if it doesn't work, read the instructions." I should know better at my age, but being overconfiodent I did not and assumed something that was not true. I looked at the installation instuctions again and found that Daggerfall was NOT written for Win95 as I had assumed but does require DosBox to run it. I am in the process of installing it now and have evry expectation it will run OK when I am done,

Thanks all, I really appreciate the help. 😊 😅

Reply 16 of 29, by Zedd56

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well. I still have to run it under DosBox as I no longer have the disk and as far as I know there is no way to make the system reconginze the files on the virtual disk (dfcd) other than thru the emulator.

If there is another way, please let me knoiw.

Reply 17 of 29, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
greywolf wrote:

You're welcome!

By the way, Daggerfall runs under XP (a bit slow), but not under Vista, not even in compatibilitry mode.

It will run but it will not be as compatible for the game as DOSBox.

Reply 18 of 29, by Zedd56

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK and thanx for that info. I have Daggerfall up and running under .073, but I have two problems.

Problem 1; Concerns the game itself. The mouse appears to be working properly, except when I try to SWING a weapon. According to the tutorial, holding down the RIGHT mouse button and moving the pointer across the screen should cause an equipped weapon to swing . . in my case it does not, it remains stationary.

Problem 2: Concerns DosBox itself. It seems that whenever I use the Edit configuation option or run the program itself (either one), something gets stuck in memory and in order to run DosBox again, I must REBOOT my computer. This does not happen in .063, but only in .073 on my system.

I know I am getting to be a bit of a pest, but some of these seemingly little problems are anything but ittle to me 😮 😲

Reply 19 of 29, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think you can resolve problem 1 by using a static cycles count. Someone suggested that. I don't remember the exact value. It was something around cycles max limit 10000 or cycles max limit 15000.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)