VOGONS

Elder Scrolls 1 - Arena

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 20 of 29, by Zedd56

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanx, I'll give that a try. I did have some success with chainging the autolock option from true to false and running the game in windowed mode seems to help somewhat also. But it is still sometimes a problem to get the blade moving and this is only against rats and bats 🙁

Reply 21 of 29, by frobme

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Problem 2: Concerns DosBox itself. It seems that whenever I use the Edit configuation option or run the program itself (either one), something gets stuck in memory and in order to run DosBox again, I must REBOOT my computer. This does not happen in .063, but only in .073 on my system.

Are you remembering to fully exit Dosbox? If you have the "Dos prompt" up in Dosbox, it's still running, and Dosbox doesn't dynamically re-read a configuration file on edit. Otherwise what you describe makes no sense at all; when you exit Dosbox, everything it was using is gone from system memory. It may be useful to check if you are exiting Dosbox whether it is hung de-allocating memory (ctrl-alt-delete, task manager, see if Dosbox is still listed). Sometime Windows can be quite buggy about fully shutting down a task.

-Frob

Reply 22 of 29, by Zedd56

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, I did find that there was a window still active ater exiting that I had to close manually with Task Manager, Once I did that, I could re-run DosBox without rebooting. However, it still does not explain why, when I use the Edit Configuration Utility, the same thing happens. Dosbox is not running at all doing that and whether or not I apply the the Reset Configuration option before trying to Edit still requires a reboot for me to get DosBox to run.

As I said in my previous post this does not happen with .063 since to edit the conf file I only need to use notepad as there is no Edit configutration option with that version.

I agree this does not make any sense, but it is so and I don't know why it is happening.

EDIT: OK further investigation showed that dosbox.exe was still running after Edit Configuration was used. I used Task Manager to find this out and when I manually closed it via TM it worked normally . Nothing appeared on my desktop to indicate this, however. Very strange to say the least.

Reply 23 of 29, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So DOSBox is still left running in the task manager after you type "exit" from the DOSBox window?

Yamaha FB-01/IMFC SCI tools thread
My Github
Roland SC-55 Music Packs - Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, and more.

Reply 24 of 29, by Zedd56

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yup that is trhe case (most of the time). Usually only happens when I use the Edit Configuration option though. I got both Daggerfall and Arena to run normally by changing the cpu speed from auto to fixed and fooloing around with cycle speeds until I got it right.

Which brings me to another question. Since most of the programs I play under Dosbox require different configuration settings I have to try and remember all the different ones (about 30 of them) and it is quite a chore for a 74 year old memory 😀

I didn't have this priblem with V.063 since all I had to do was make a seperate conf file for each game and then swap them out as I needed them.

With V.073, however, it seems that Edit Congiuration changes the dosbox.exe file no matter where you put it on the system. I tried putting the one for Daggerfall on My Drive D: slave drive in a seperate folder titled df and then editing dosbox.exe again for Arena. I found that the folder on drive d: had now been changed from the Daggerfall to the Arena settings azfter I had deleted the dosbox.exe file containing the arena setting, copied the one for Daggerfall that I had previously saved on Drive D: and tried to run Daggerfall . . I was right back into Arena again as it had been changed to reflect the Arena settings.

My questioon then is: Is there any way to make seperate files for each individual program or am I going to have to Edit dosbox.exe everytime I want to change a program?

Last edited by Zedd56 on 2009-12-08, 12:40. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 25 of 29, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you have 30+ games and you want to use different settings for each then you should really be using a frontend for DOSBox like DBGL or DFend Reloaded.

The "Edit Configuration" for DOSBox is only intended to edit the DOSBox.conf in your profile for one-off games. Not for constant changing for multiple games.

Last edited by DosFreak on 2009-12-08, 12:37. Edited 2 times in total.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 26 of 29, by Zedd56

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Zedd56 wrote:
Yup that is the case (most of the time). Usually only happens when I use the Edit Configuration option though. I got both Dagger […]
Show full quote

Yup that is the case (most of the time). Usually only happens when I use the Edit Configuration option though. I got both Daggerfall and Arena to run normally by changing the cpu setting from auto to fixed and fooling around with cycle speeds until I got it right.

Which brings me to another question. Since most of the programs I play under Dosbox require different configuration settings I have to try and remember all the different ones (about 30 of them) and it is quite a chore for a 74 year old memory 😀

I didn't have this problem with V.063 since all I had to do was make a seperate conf file for each game and then swap them out as I needed them.

With V.073, however, it seems that Edit Configuration changes the dosbox.exe file no matter where you put it on the system. I tried putting the one for Daggerfall on My Drive D: slave drive in a seperate folder titled df and then editing dosbox.exe again for Arena. I found that the folder on drive d: had now been changed from the Daggerfall to the Arena settings after I had deleted the dosbox.exe file containing the arena setting, copied the one for Daggerfall that I had previously saved on Drive D: and tried to run Daggerfall . . I was right back into Arena again as it had been changed to reflect the Arena settings.

My questioon then is: Is there any way to make seperate files for each individual program or am I going to have to Edit dosbox.exe everytime I want to change a program?

Reply 27 of 29, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can still use multiple config files with 0.73, it's just using the default one as a, well, default. Just start DOSBox with the "-config <filename>" parameter (this is from memory, you should check the correct syntax in the readme file). This can be done by creating shortcuts and setting the shortcut parameters accordingly, for example. Your old config files should work, too (maybe some small tweaks are required for the new DOSBox features). Like DosFreak said, using a Frontend would be even more convenient.

Reply 28 of 29, by Zedd56

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thamx for the imputs everyone. I have decided to junk 073 and revert back to 063 entirely . . 073 fixes the sound problems that plagued 063, but the games run just as good under 063 and it is alot easier to play them there and listening to crappy sound is a small price to pay for the convenience of 063. 073 is gone from my system now, never to return.