VOGONS

First post, by ShoreTee

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My "Quest for fame" from the middle of the 90's doesn't work! My computer needs a DOS version 6.2. Where can I get it? Or what could I do to fix this? Help!

Reply 1 of 7, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Maybe you need to fake the dos call someway. I don't know if you can load TSRs under DOSBOX. Maybe SETVER will work. Either way, you could hex edit the loader file and hack the check yourself. I don't remember which DOS call (int 21h) was used to query for DOS version number but I remeber that returned value (version and subversion) was returned in AX register.

Reply 4 of 7, by ShoreTee

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Right, I've never used it, I thought it was just put there to make the computer work rite. But I do know that it's not there in XP and I think that's the reason it tells me that I need it for the game, rite?

Reply 5 of 7, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This has been covered before...and recently too...
showthread.php?threadid=1844&highlight=quest+fame
showthread.php?threadid=2218&highlight=quest+fame

The short version is..."don't be getting your hopes up".

Reply 6 of 7, by ShoreTee

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK, the 2nd link was long and had lots of tips and trix in it, but the ? is, did it work for "darkhawk30". I'll try to get win 95 somewhere and see what I can do with that. I'll also ask some "computernerds" and see what they think. Thanx!

Reply 7 of 7, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by ShoreTee I'll try to get win 95 somewhere and see what I can do with that. I'll also ask some "computernerds" and see what they think. Thanx!

It's really hard to troubleshoot without the actual hardware. Those with the hardware and software can actually try it out with different configurations...