VOGONS

Wonderland - No game resources?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 33, by Eddie@time

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok guys! Thanks to everyone for their valuable input. I have just managed to get the game running. In moby games in the game description there seems to be lot of images with arrow /screen control alongwith the text. But right now after the initial startup screen I ma getting only the textbox with no palpable images. It ofcourse matches the screenshots posted by P4R4DOX. I wonder it is how it is.

I am running with game -dis p -adlib with machine = svga paradise in the config. Thanks.

Reply 22 of 33, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It seems like there are really three installs for this game :

1. VGA & Decompression :

Will work with VGA, EGA, SVGA Paradise or Video Seven, possibly CGA

2. No Decompression

Will work with anything except Tandy

3. Tandy

Will work with CGA, Tandy (4 or 16 Colors), Hercules, and possibly EGA and MCGA Mono

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 24 of 33, by Eddie@time

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ripsaw8080 wrote:

There are several extra windows (graphics, compass, inventory, etc.) that are activated from the Accessories pull-down menu.

Oh God , How did I miss such a silly thing. But the menu pulldown does not stay put and retracts itself? Just highlighting the item while it retracts however brings up the chosen item.
After the initial startup screen there is not music/voice over though as the game runs.

@vasyl , robertmo
As per the instructions the syntax for display seems to be dis and not disp

Reply 25 of 33, by P4R4D0X

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well I installed the game again... And installed it as Tandy, and I found some information on how to get it to work. Seems like it work if you use game -dis t -w16384 according to the manual. That way I can use machine=tandy in my config file and DOSBox will not hang. This is the latest SVN.

However if I use the SVN and machine=pcjr it's still the same thing. The regression is still there, and it's just like the screenshots I just posted. Can anyone confirm this? I used the same game -dis t -w16384 command to launch the game. Should be the same without only game -disp t like in my previous post.

This is from READ.ME from Disk 1:

Notes in case you get a bit stuck using Wonderland.
---------------------------------------------------

TANDY (see also KEYBOARD)
=========================

If you have a Tandy computer you MAY need to use these options. Try it without
the options first but if you can't seem to run the program try these...

-w16384 : Some early Tandy computers take their screen memory from DOS
without really telling DOS what's going on. Typical symptoms
are `filth' on the screen as the program attempts to start up
and then a complete system crash. To fix this we've added " -w16384"
to the line in WONDERLA.BAT, the command works by telling DOS
to reserve 16384 bytes of main memory for the screen.
If you know that this will not cause problems on your Tandy PC,
you may like to edit the command line in WONDERLA.BAT *not*
to include this option.

Alternatively, you can run the game from the original disks
by using the command

game -dis t -w16384

Also it doesn't matter if you use -disp or -dis parameters. If you check the stock patch file the installer creates it's -disp if you check READ.ME it's -dis. Both should work pretty much the same.

Reply 26 of 33, by Eddie@time

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
P4R4D0X wrote:

Well I installed the game again... And installed it as Tandy, and I found some information on how to get it to work. Seems like it work if you use game -dis t -w16384 according to the manual. That way I can use machine=tandy in my config file and DOSBox will not hang. This is the latest SVN.

Surprisingly for me with the same config -tandy at the startup , I do not get the the image of the wizard? and I am presented with a choice of 4 colors or 16 colors. Choosing either does not seem to bring any progress and I have to quit.

2.Presently I am running -dis V -adlib and in the config as machine = VGA only. I am not seeing the graphics refresh with the directions. Once say a pear grove changes to the river bank , on retracing back the pear grove does not display again.

3.Except for the startup screen there seems to be no audio. Does the audio begin late?

Reply 27 of 33, by P4R4D0X

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That's because the image of the wizard only available for the VGA and SVGA modes. I think that's why we don't see it in other graphics modes.

Can't confirm that machine=tandy doesn't work. You need to launch the game with game -dis t -w16384
Screencast: DOSBox SVN - Tandy - game -dis t -w16384 - 16 colour Tandy display
Link: http://www.screencast.com/t/dTS2XnsVp2r

Screencast: DOSBox SVN - Tandy - game -dis t -w16384 - 4 colour Tandy display
Link: http://www.screencast.com/t/NkihK3pW

However nobody actually noticed the PCjr regression. Also I found out that the game will be frozen and only the mouse works. Can't type anything and after quitting the game can't do anything in DOSBox. I can't input any commands.

Screencast: DOSBox SVN - PCjr - game -dis t - 16 colour Tandy display
Link: http://www.screencast.com/t/RXe6ipdar9j3

Screencast DOSBox SVN - PCjr - game -dis t - 4 colour Tandy display
Link: http://www.screencast.com/t/8GwJvpKU1

OK so here's the funny part. I found what causes the issue. If I type something it won't be shown on the screen unless I move the cursor around. I found this out when I was trying to record 0.74 with PCjr to show that the bug is not present. However I found weird that this can't be done in the SVN which is really odd.

Eddie@time there's nothing wrong with the audio. It should be only on the startup screen. There's no other audio options in the UI.

Reply 28 of 33, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I wouldn't worry too much about how the game works with the PCjr machine type unless there is some evidence that the game should work with it. Yes, there are similarites between Tandy and PCjr, but they're not the same. It may have worked better with PCjr in 0.74 owing to the similarity, but the screen color (blue on cyan) does not look right in any case.

Reply 29 of 33, by P4R4D0X

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sure... I don't expect to be perfect, but it worked just fine in 0.74 as far as I can tell. They were just some thing I noticed and thought I'd share it maybe somebody can reproduce. Couldn't find any solution other than using 0.74, and that still has problems with the keyboard not registering key presses until you move the cursor. That's still ok, unfortunately the issue is present even if you exit the game. This worked somewhat in 0.74 but doesn't in SVN.

Found something more in the manual but that doesn't do anything. The -keyhang is useless and has no effect pretty much. Everyting will be unchanged. If this is by design I'm pretty sure it won't be fixed.

KEYBOARDS
=========

If you find that occasionally your keyboard stops working whilst you're playing the game. This can be temporarily rectified by unplugging the keyboard and
plugging it back in. However, a longer term solution is to edit your
WONDERLA.BAT file adding " -keyhang" to the command.

game -keyhang ; stops the game from freezing the keyboard

Unfortunately, the new Tandy 1000 SL/2 has an improved keyboard interface
which means that you must NOT have this option set (sorry about this).
Try it one way and if it doesn't work try the other!

Reply 30 of 33, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If anybody is interested or cares, I took screenshots with each mode and they have been made publicly available on Mobygames : http://www.mobygames.com/game/wonderland/screenshots

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 32 of 33, by P4R4D0X

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Actually I was referring to the graphics from page 1. Remember the keyboard is only buggy in PCjr mode with -dis t. In 0.74 if you type something nothing will be shown until you move the cursor a bit. You can exit the game with the mouse and the same things applies. Type something and you won't see anything. Only if you move the mouse in DOSBox. The text you typed in will appear instantaneously. It's bearable in 0.74, and SVN probably registers the keypresses, but doesn't show any text.

Can't give even detailed description on this issue. I'm pretty sure any of the bugs can be reproduced easily. It happens every time.

Reply 33 of 33, by PerryRhodan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote on 2013-03-27, 22:47:
I would think it would be easier just to let the game have the path it wants: put the game's files in C:\BLAH\WONDERLA, and then […]
Show full quote
wizzel wrote:

The game has several files in which the actual path of the game is definded.

I would think it would be easier just to let the game have the path it wants: put the game's files in C:\BLAH\WONDERLA, and then use "mount c c:\blah".

That should do the trick. Took me hours to find it out and the solution was so simple...

FYI, the debug-enabled versions of DOSBox can sometimes be used to determine the path and name of files a program is trying to access.

Also, this thread is four years old.

Thanks Wizzel. Your solution works perfectly.