VOGONS

First post, by zfishman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This works great for Old Time Baseball in Windows XP (I have not tried it on any other Windows system). 😀

--

Create a directory c:\oldgames
Create a directory c:\oldgames\oldtimcd
Copy the entire CD contents to c:\oldgames\oldtimcd

Open DosBox (everything below is to be done from within DosBox)

Type:
mount c c:\oldgames <enter>
c: <enter>
cd oldtimcd <enter>
install <enter>

Follow the instructions to install the game and all the voice options (Curt Gowdy and Mel Allen) to the default directory. After it says the game has been successfully installed hit <enter> which will return you to DosBox.

Type:
cd\ <enter>
cd oldtime <enter>
setup <enter>

Select "Video Card Configuration" and hit <enter>.
Select "Auto-Detect the Video Card" and hit <enter>.
Follow the instructions and accept the default.
Hit <enter> and a splash screen should show for the game. Hit <enter> to accept.
Select "Sound Card Configuration" and hit <enter>.
Select "Select and configure digital audio card driver" and hit <enter>.
Select "Creative Labs Sound Blaster 16 or AWE32" and hit <enter>.
Select "Attempt to configure sound driver automatically" and hit <enter>. You should hear Curt Gowdy's voice. Hit <enter> to accept.
Select "Done" and hit <enter>.
Select "Done (EXIT)" and hit <enter> which will return you to DosBox.

Type:
mount d c:\oldgames\oldtimcd -t cdrom
oldtime <enter>

Enjoy! 😀

You won't need the CD to run the game when these instructions are followed (you will need to keep all the files in c:\oldgames\oldtimcd that you copied from the CD on your computer). The game runs smoothly for me though the sound seems just a small bit choppy. This may be part of the game itself or perhaps some speed settings need to be tweaked, but overall it runs well.

--

To run the game in the future, open DosBox:

Type:
mount c c:\oldgames <enter>
c: <enter>
mount d c:\oldgames\oldtimcd -t cdrom
cd oldtime <enter>
oldtime <enter>

Reply 3 of 8, by msieger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

zfishman,
Is there any way I can get those 1982-1997 universes from you? I had them on my old computer. I think I downloaded them from Nick Keren's site. But I must have reformatted my hard drive since then, and now Nick's site is no longer available.

Reply 7 of 8, by msieger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
zfishman wrote:

hi! i'm sorry, i don't 🙁 i do have a collection of universes (1982-1997 teams) and a few others that i was able to download awhile back.

I have the 2002 universe that I purchased from Nick Keren years ago. I have the registration code to unlock it, which worked fine. The 2002 universe shows up in Oldtime Baseball and I am able to load it. However, when I do, none of the teams are listed. The league is a blank. This doesn't happen for me in any other year (and I have all the years from 1982-2002.) Do you have any idea what would cause this problem?

Reply 8 of 8, by jaisonline

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

many folks have asked about nick keren's old web site. well, i found it...kinda.

https://web.archive.org/web/20040605043957/ht … ages/NickKeren/

it's one of the last web site scraping of nick's baseball web site. it is awesome as nick's site had a ton of info for tony larussa 2, 3 and oldtime baseball. a little bonus is the file download pages including the lone official patches for tony 2, 3, and oldtime baseball.

https://web.archive.org/web/20040608024546/ht … Keren/patch.htm