VOGONS

First post, by bruno321

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello!

I got Toonstruck running on last CVS Dosbox, in Windows XP Pro. Even with sound and correct VESA mode. But it runs really slowly. I have fullscreen activated, frameskip 0, no filters, and I tried F12ing till collapsing the CPU, but nope, it won't run decently.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Ah, I have this PC:

pc.jpg

Reply 4 of 8, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You might consider running it natively with VDMSound. Since you're running a GF4 video card, you would need to run NOLFB.COM first. You would need to place NOLFB.COM as the first entry in your TOONSTRK.BAT file (if you didn't install NOLFB.COM along with VDMSound 2.10, you will also need to define it's pathway [unless you just copy NOLFB.COM into the game directory]).

ToonStruck seems to be very demanding with audio resources, so you would need to use a plain SoundBlaster instead of a "SoundBlaster 16" (which you would be using in DosBox anyway).

Also, the game runs normally in 640x400 mode, as opposed to 640x480 mode (where it appears in "Letterbox" format), so you might consider manually changing the video configuration to that.

Not sure if the GF4 supports 640x400 in XP...I know the GF3 does.

In any case, I've attached the game's config file. Just download it, change the CD-ROM letter to match your own, and rename it to TOONSTRK.CFG. Set up NOLFB as I mentioned earlier, then run VDMSound on TOONSTRK.BAT

If you haven't already installed VDMSound, you would obviously need to do that first.

Attachments

• Filename
    toonstrk.txt
    File size
    361 Bytes
    Downloads
    1165 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 6 of 8, by bruno321

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You might consider running it natively with VDMSound. Since you're running a GF4 video card, you would need to run NOLFB.COM first. You would need to place NOLFB.COM as the first entry in your TOONSTRK.BAT file (if you didn't install NOLFB.COM along with VDMSound 2.10, you will also need to define it's pathway [unless you just copy NOLFB.COM into the game directory]).

That's it! It runs perfectly . Really smooth, and no VESA problems. Thank you VERY MUCH!

Bruno.

Reply 8 of 8, by Rezza

User metadata

I'm trying to get Toonstruck to run smoothly from within DOSbox as

1)I cannot figure out how to do it natively with VDMsound or NOLFB.COM, I tried running it using Command line and NOLFB.COM but I ended up with a half blank page and no sound. and if I try it with VDMsound I get a blank screen.

2) My monitor acts up at such low resolutons and so I cannot play in fullscreen mode and need it to be windowed.

I've managed to get it working in DOSBOX, except the game is very slow, I've got my CPU cycles as high as possible (before sound starts to stutter) and I have my frame skip at 8. Would appreciate any help.