User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My problem is pretty basic. Running DOSBox, I start up Colonization via:

>mount c: c:\games\colonization
>cd c:
>go

(runs the go.bat file)

After the intro sequence and whatnot, with sound on, it gets to the 'loading' stage, where the menu is supposed to appear. However, it seems to freeze here. I've read that it takes a few minutes, so I go piss around for a bit and come back. It's still not loaded. Mashing ESC, enter, space, the mouse, and repeatedly hitting ALT+F4 do nothing.

So I go back to the DOSBox site, where it says I just have to run Viceroy.exe. "At last," I cry in jubilation, "This is the answer to what I seek."

>mount c: c:\games\colonization
>cd c:
>viceroy

This time the game goes straight to the menu, skipping the intro. I can deal with that. I go to start a new game, set everything... My first indication of trouble is that once I erase the name for my 'character', it doesn't allow me to type in the custom one. Well, whatever, lets play. It goes through the various dialogues, and finally comes upon the starting screen, 'In the Year of our Lord blah blah...' I click to skip the long and painful cinema. Nothing. Eh? I again mash various keys. It continues the laborous march, rambling on about gold and discovery and whatnot, before finally reaching the end. But the game does not load! I give this a few minutes, but still nothing.

Can anyone help me with this problem? I've tried other emulators, but they're way too complicated for me.

Reply 1 of 6, by necrolust

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This might seem weird, but is your CAPS LOCK on? I've noticed that when I accidently hit caps, my keyboard essentially dies to DOSBox. This would explain not being able to type in your name, not being able to skip things with "enter," "alt+F4" not working, etc.

Also, have you tried the newest CVS version?

Reply 3 of 6, by Vaikutin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry, I'm ignornant of that. What is CVS? (I just downloaded DOSBox off of SourceForge, latest version, today).

And in the games list, Colonization is supported.

Caps Lock was causing problems, it seems. However, the loading problem remains.

Reply 6 of 6, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The 0.58 version of dosbox run colonization fine. You only have to wait 5 minutes to pass the last animation 😀

If it runs fine now it was probably related to the real time clock which caused more problems with games which appeared to "hang" (most of those issues were fixed in the CVS version)

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!