VOGONS

First post, by Wingcplayer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have been able to play Privateer 2 very compatibly with dosbox thanks to the help from the sister program, "Boxer".
I highly recommend it to anyone.
In any case, my problem is this, as soon as it asks me to pop in disc 2 which holds only movie files... I don't know how to get it to detect the disc.

My setup:
I do not use physical CD's. I downloaded the .ISO format of the game for all three discs. The first disc worked perfectly because it had an install/setup file. The other two discs don't probably because they are just movie files... I can copy those movie files onto the original install disc (Disc 1). I tried that and it didn't work because it will keep prompting me for disc 2. I've tried clicking the .iso file to bring up the drive icon on the desktop showing its recognized the cd, but that does not somehow transfer into dosbox. I have all three .iso files mounted...
Disc 1 = Drive D
Disc 2 = Drive E
Disc 3 = Drive F

I'm curious if maybe they are supposed to be all mounted to the same drive... which will be my next attempt...

Also, is there anyway to disable the disc check and have the disc just check its own movie folder for the movie clip(After copying the ones from disc 2 and 3 onto disc 1 of course)?
Any other solutions or suggestions would be appreciated on how to resolve this matter.

Reply 1 of 16, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I'm curious if maybe they are supposed to be all mounted to the same drive... which will be my next attempt...

They need to be mounted to the same drive and then you can switch the isos by hitting ctrl+option+f4 (AFAIK).

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 3 of 16, by Wingcplayer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's saying I can't mount more than 1 to each drive because disc 1 is already mounted to drive d so disc 2 cant be mounted to the same drive. DISC 2 and 3 do not have install files... they are purely movie discs for cut scenes...
I don't know how to move on to disc 2... in the game when it asks for it.

Reply 5 of 16, by ookverbermin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have this same problem. Like the OP said the game comes with three disks, the second two of which contain only cut-scene video's.
I am running virtual clone drive to mount the iso's and using dosbox to run P2TD.
But I am hung up at the point where the game wants me to "insert disk two" . Can someone walk me through this please?

Reply 6 of 16, by peterferrie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

as Robertmo says, read dosbox's readme for IMGMOUNT.
It contains the description of how to properly mount multiple disks and switch between them.
Using Virtual Clone Drive is the wrong way.

Reply 8 of 16, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Since you are on Windows and don't understand the Readme, why not just use the original CDs?

But anyway, again from the Readme:

IMGMOUNT A utility to mount disk images and CD-ROM images in DOSBox. ... imagefile1 imagefile2 .. imagefileN Location of […]
Show full quote

IMGMOUNT
A utility to mount disk images and CD-ROM images in DOSBox.
imagefile1 imagefile2 .. imagefileN
Location of the image files to mount in DOSBox. Specifying a number
of image files is only allowed for CD-ROM images.
The CD's can be swapped with CTRL-F4 at any time.
This is required for games which use multiple CD-ROMs and require the CD
to be switched during the gameplay at some point.
An example how to mount CD-ROM images...
(in Windows):
imgmount d f:\img\CD1.cue f:\img\CD2.cue f:\img\CD3.cue -t cdrom
imgmount d "g:\img\7th Guest CD1.cue" "g:\img\7th Guest CD2.cue" -t cdrom

everything is written there you just need to understand that.
And no, it took me longer to write all this than it would have taken you to read it.

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 9 of 16, by ookverbermin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I said I still had problems after reading the readme, so you copy paste the readme, plus a dickish comment at the end.... wow dude, you are one sad excuse for a moderator. Do you have any experience or training in community mgmt at all??

Reply 10 of 16, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Listen, if you want help, lose the attitude. I asked you a question, how about answering that? What is wrong with using the original CDs?
I condensed the important parts of the readme. If you have problems with that, you best be more precise what you don't understand and less abusive. So far you have not shown any netiquette skills at all, please shape up.

Reply 11 of 16, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The readme is indeed fairly descriptive and if there is a particular part of it that you do not understand, a more precise question may be of aid in assisting you.

A simpler method also presents itself:

ookverbermin wrote:

I am running virtual clone drive to mount the iso's and using dosbox to run P2TD.

When the game tells you need to change discs, just alt-tab out of DOSBox (or whatever it is you do in OSX), change the image you mounted with Virtual Clone Drive, then switch back to DOSBox and press CTRL-F4. The game should then recognize that the disc has been changed.

This is definitely not the ideal way of doing things – that would be using IMGMOUNT, as discussed above – but it should work.

Reply 12 of 16, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The problem is that DOSBox caches things and doesn't know when you've switched the ISO in an external mounting tool.

As others have said, DOSBox supports internally mounting one or more ISOs (or BIN/CUEs), so this is generally the best way to go.

If you are uncomfortable with manually setting up DOSBox configs, I would suggest checking out the excellent D-Fend Reloaded frontend, which provides GUIs for setting up games to run in DOSBox.

Reply 13 of 16, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ookverbermin wrote:

Read it , but couldn't find the solution I was looking for, anyone wanna help me out?

Some tips for the next time you ask for help 😀

Rather than saying "it didn't work" or "couldn't find it" explain in detail what you have tried.

For example:

- I typed this command but got this error:
- Attach screenshots of your steps
- Copy / paste command line steps

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 14 of 16, by ookverbermin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dominus wrote:

Listen, if you want help, lose the attitude. I asked you a question, how about answering that? What is wrong with using the original CDs?
I condensed the important parts of the readme. If you have problems with that, you best be more precise what you don't understand and less abusive. So far you have not shown any netiquette skills at all, please shape up.

HA, please, your high-handed and snotty reply just goes to show I was right to put you in your place the first time. You take way to much pride in being a mod, especially considering how inept you are at it...

Jorpho wrote:
The readme is indeed fairly descriptive and if there is a particular part of it that you do not understand, a more precise quest […]
Show full quote

The readme is indeed fairly descriptive and if there is a particular part of it that you do not understand, a more precise question may be of aid in assisting you.
A simpler method also presents itself:

ookverbermin wrote:

When the game tells you need to change discs, just alt-tab out of DOSBox (or whatever it is you do in OSX), change the image you mounted with Virtual Clone Drive, then switch back to DOSBox and press CTRL-F4. The game should then recognize that the disc has been changed.
This is definitely not the ideal way of doing things – that would be using IMGMOUNT, as discussed above – but it should work.

That is incorrect...

HunterZ wrote:

The problem is that DOSBox caches things and doesn't know when you've switched the ISO in an external mounting tool.

As others have said, DOSBox supports internally mounting one or more ISOs (or BIN/CUEs), so this is generally the best way to go.

If you are uncomfortable with manually setting up DOSBox configs, I would suggest checking out the excellent D-Fend Reloaded frontend, which provides GUIs for setting up games to run in DOSBox.

THAN YOU HUNTERZ, that was the first helpful reply I've gotten since I got here.

Reply 15 of 16, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Again, please stop the attitude. If you want to throw insults around do that somewhere else. Not here.

You are perfectly in your right to say you don't agree with me but unless you stop insulting me, we are going to have bigger issues here.

Reply 16 of 16, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ookverbermin wrote:
Jorpho wrote:

When the game tells you need to change discs, just alt-tab out of DOSBox (or whatever it is you do in OSX), change the image you mounted with Virtual Clone Drive, then switch back to DOSBox and press CTRL-F4.

That is incorrect...

HunterZ wrote:

Yes, and pressing CTRL-F4 serves to inform DOSBox that the ISO has changed in an external mounting tool. It also is used to change the mounted image when multiple disks are mounted via IMGMOUNT.

Are you saying that you've tried pressing CTRL-F4 after changing the disc in Virtual Clone Drive? Did it not work?