VOGONS

Reply 21 of 28, by Espinator

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The free ISO download from EA. It was working for about a week like someone else said earlier, and then started not loading the map textures and units leaving trails. It also crashes after a while as well...

These are the rigs of the times, me boys.

Reply 23 of 28, by xcomcmdr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Why not use the Windows version ? It is in SVGA, while the DOS executable shows lesser graphics (same quality as for C&C 1). Unless you have some reason to use DOSBox.

I have Command & Conquer : The First Decade, and the 1.03 Unofficial patch fixes all the bugs :
http://www.gamershell.com/download_36352.shtml (you can download it elsewhere too, just google for it), even if I can't run C&C 1 and RA 1 on Windows 7 x64 (a Windows XP VirtualBox fixed it though ^^).

But I don't know if the 1.03 C&C : First Decade patch will work on an installation made from the free ISO from EA.
Maybe there's still official patches for the original (!= First Decade) version available on the Web (maybe from EA's website).

Last edited by xcomcmdr on 2010-07-25, 20:57. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 24 of 28, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I see this thread isn't exactly brimming with activity, but I have this same problem and still cannot find a solution (including all of the above).

Well the thread died because the OP didn't reply to Qbix' suggestion, so it's safe to assume the problem went away as magically as it had appeared. Seriously, you install a game, it works for a while and then all of a sudden it stops working or acts strangely - and you think DOSBox is the problem? Very, very, very unlikely. Most probably a case of PEBCAK. The fact that IIRC this is the only post on VOGONS with this type of problem supports my theory.

Reinstall the game.

If the problem is still there we need more data. Machine? OS? How did you install the game? etc.

Reply 25 of 28, by ripa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For what it's worth, I remember the same issue on a real dos computer back in the day. However, it was a ripped version so that's what I attributed that bug to.

Reply 26 of 28, by MrJungleJosh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I know that it's been a couple of years since the last reply, but I stumbled across this problem myself today, and couldn't find any solutions. I'm posting because I managed to find a way to fix the problem for myself. I'm not entirely sure if this solution will work for everyone, but I'll share it anyway in hope that it might save a few people some trouble.

I began by installing C&C Red Alert from the ISOs that was distributed officially by EA. After attempting to run the installed game, that's when I ran into the problem presented within this thread. After a somewhat fruitless search, I managed to get a hold of the two expansion packs for the game, 'Counterstrike' and 'The Aftermath' and installed each one, respectively. I don't really know which one did the trick, but after they were both installed the game began to run normally and there were no longer any graphical glitches.

Reply 27 of 28, by abskebabs

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everybody!

I had the same problem and found this thread. Glad to say I found a solution!

You need to get the 1.08 patch and put it into the westwood folder. The following describes the process of installing the patch.

http://www.infobarrel.com/How_to_get_Command_ … newer_Mac_or_PC

I wasn't able to actually copy the patch within Dosbox itself so instead you might want to just open up the iso and copy the patch files manually into the westwood folder in your dosbox c drive.

After I installed the patch, voila! No more crashes or black screen and I get to play a fun but slightly inferior version of Red Alert problem free 😁