VOGONS

First post, by RNiner

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all, I just bought this game from Steam, and it came with DosBox to run it. However, it is running really laggy for me, so I could use some help. I'll follow the help guidelines to make this easier.

1. Motherboard: EVGA C72 somethingorother.
2. Intel C2D E6750 @ 2.66ghz
3. 2 GIGs of ram
4. 2 8800GT's in SLI, 512mb version
5. Creative X-fi
6. Windows 7 Ultimate
7. XCom UFO Defense (Steam version)
8/9. a) Everything is 1 second behind. I click on the menu, 1 second later it opens. The sound is also 1 second late. This happens everywhere, all the time; at the base screen, ground mode, geoscope, etc.
b) Is it possible to run this game in windowed mode?
10. Err, not sure. Maybe already set up with Steam version? How do I check this? (DOSBOX noob 🙁 )
11. Again, not sure.
12. DosBox 0.72
13. Checked the readme that came with the game, it only has a link to here. 😀 I took a quick peek at dosbox.conf, but have no idea where to begin.

Thanks for any help! This is probably my favorite game of alltime, cant wait to give it a whirl.

Reply 1 of 10, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

8b alt-enter
8a maybe press ctrl - f12 a few times, although the speed it is configured at shouldn't have 1 second delays

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 3 of 10, by RNiner

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the quick replies!
Dosbox file attached.

Ctrl-F12 didn't help. Tried it a couple times, then 5, then 10 more, and no change.
Alt-Enter worked! 😀 But, the window is very small, and I can't re-size it. Can I change the size it goes down to?

I'm going to try it tomorrow on a WinXP computer, see if that helps.

Attachments

• Filename
    dosbox.conf
    File size
    6.78 KiB
    Downloads
    175 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 7 of 10, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

i hope you don't use your old dosbox.conf (cause it is the fault of it) with the new dosbox

Sladi never suggest a fronted if there is a problem with game. Forntend is not for testing. It is for managing many games when they are already working properly.

Reply 8 of 10, by RNiner

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmm, yes, I did just copy the .conf file over to the new dosbox. Whats wrong with it? I guess I should start from scratch?

Someone mentioned a manual, so I just want to know before I really delve deep into this; is dosbox hard to learn? I'm decent with programs and computers, but if its like learning a new OS I might be in over my head...

Reply 10 of 10, by Sladi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I understand Robert.
I'd try turning everything off (sound, joystick), use a specific value for the CPU cycles and maybe try normal instead of dynamic CPU. The game may run fine since it's old and doesn't need a fast CPU I guess? I need to buy it. 😀