VOGONS

First post, by TomJeffersonJones

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just reinstalled WC3 - I'm running it under dosbox 0.73 and have it working so well I can hardly believe it. It's running so smoothly I'm wondering if I'm heading for some kind of disaster.

In order to get FMV's running without skips, I have to fix my cpu cycles at 20,000 under a dynamic core. But 20,000 is entirely unsuitable for the in-flight gameplay, which becomes ridiculously smooth and responsive when I increase cycles to 100,000.

Even flying out of the Victory hangar occurs without a hitch, the game is now running better than it did when I originally played it....no skipping sound either, its awesome.

So what I've done is set my cycles at 20,000 in .conf and set 'cyclesup' and 'cyclesdown' to 80,000. That way I can get from FMV speed to in-flight speed with a single stroke of Ctrl+F11/12.

This is working really well, but I was wondering if jumping around the cycle-count in 80,000 cycle chunks is a bad idea, seems a little extreme. Are there problems ahead? I've rarely heard of folks using so many cycles in their games...

I'm running an Opteron 165@2.4mhz btw, temps are fine but am I going to blow it up?

This whole thing just seems too good to be true...

Reply 2 of 3, by Drexciyan_Wavejumper

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you for your interesting report!
I still have some troubles with Wing Commander 4 (check my topic within this forum 😉).
But I'll give your adjustments a trial. Especially that idea with the 80000 cylces change via one "click" pretty smart. 😉

Btw: Do you use a joystick? I also have some probs, using my Sidewinder Precision Pro USB within the dosbox and together with WC4...

You must face the power of the black wave of Lardossa, before you can become a Drexciyan Wavejumper

Reply 3 of 3, by TomJeffersonJones

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah I'm using a stick, I have a CH Fighterstick and Ch Pedals combined into one device through CH's control manager software. Pretty cool, cause then I can use dosbox's keymapper and make Dosbox think my pedal's axis is actually the insert and delete keys, so I can roll with the pedals while still keeping yaw and pitch active on the stick, wild corkscrews ensue....

Control is good using dosbox's default settings WC3 detects the stick, (thinks its a CH Flightstick Pro and recognizes the hat switch) and in-game calibration works fine. The controls are 'chunky' but that's the way I remember them, Wing Commander was always pretty blunt when it came to flight control...not artistic like X-wing.