VOGONS

First post, by Kabukibear

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm not sure if this is even possible but I figured if anyone would know, you guys would.

I can get Dosbox up and running. Now I read that HX Dos extender can run win 32 applications in dos. What I am wondering is, would it be possible to run one of the windows frontends for Dosbox IN dosbox using HX Dos Extender?

Let's assume for the moment that I can't run windows OR dos, and that I can only emulate dos through dosbox. Would it be possible to run one of these frontends using HX Dos extender in Dosbox, and then run a game using it?

Reply 1 of 16, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Considering you can run DOSBox in DOSBox using HX then yes it would be possible. It depends on how the frontend was programmed.

A frontend like DBGL that use Java? No.
Something simpler. Probably.

This isn't supported though since only crazy people try to run DOSBox frontends inside of DOSBox.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 16, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

there are frontends /game managers for DOS as well.
Maybe checkout 3d menu or so.
Running windows frontends in dosbox, that start dosbox is overkill as you are then running dosbox inside dosbox.
While this is possible, you are emulating a pc within an emulated pc, which is a huge performance hit.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 5 of 16, by Kabukibear

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Lol, it's not that I was being crazy or stupid, it's just that I am running Dosbox on my Wii. However, I don't have an extra usb keyboard and typing with an onscreen keyboard is a chore. I added an entry in autoexec to run the dos controller, which works and is okay I guess, but organizing and keeping track of the games, as well as tweaking everything is really a pain. I have used DBGL in the past and it had an option whether to just RUN a game or RUN a game using dosbox. I didn't know exactly what that did, but I figured it was something that I could use, ie. Run DBGL with dosbox and choose to just run the game, not run the game with another instance of dosbox. Shame about the java thing though. Does anyone know of a solution? I can't seem to track down a copy of that 3d menus program that was mentioned. 😢

Reply 8 of 16, by Kabukibear

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's mostly for the old point-and-click adventure games like the king's quest and space quest and all of those so a keyboard really isn't needed except for the really early stuff. It isn't really even the whole keyboard thing, like I said, it's mostly for being able to keep track of the games, keep things in order, and keep each game configured properly and all that. Scummvm works great on it because it at least has a menu system for choosing games and all that. I just was hoping to get something running under dos.

Reply 10 of 16, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hmmmm... Well i don't have a Wii (i mean the console, you perverts), but in my experience there are two basic approaches for managing games in DOSBox:

- "Outside" -> use a frontend that's running one the host OS
- "Inside" -> use a DOS frontend that's running in DOSBox

Each of those two have their pros and cons. I started out with a custom-coded "inside" solution. I created simple ini files for each game and then a 4DOS script that would build a graphical menu out of the info in those ini files. This basically worked fine, but there are some things you can't configure while DOSBox is running, so i've kinda abandoned that idea and are currently "rebuildiing" my DOS games collection so it can be managed by whichever frontend i choose to run (currently GameEX).

Dunno how easy homebrew on the Wii is, but i guess it should be possible to combine both ideas and code a simple launcher app that will read info from an ini file and launch that game with the appropriate settings (or a custom dosbox.conf if the ini's are a problem).

Oh, and i think i've seen functionality in DOSBox frontends to export custom dosbox.conf files. So you could configure everything on a PC and then use the exported conf to run the game on the Wii. That's the beauty of emulation after all - being able to run stuff independantly from the original system.

Reply 12 of 16, by Kabukibear

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, as I said, the Wii version of Dosbox does have an onscreen keyboard that you can display, but trying to type using the Wiimote by pointing and clicking the letters is harder than you'd think. It's okay for just naming save files, but trying to do anything more than that is an exercise in frustration.

Anyway, I'm going to try it and see what happens. I'm more curious, now, than hopeful. Dosbox IN Dosbox on a Wii. I wonder if it'll create a black hole in the middle of my living room. 😳

Reply 13 of 16, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bobdevis wrote:

Dosbox inside Dosbox?

Yo dawg, I heard you like DOSBox so we put a DOSBox in your DOSBox so you can DOSBox while you DOSBox

The HX site does mention about the recursion attempt. It's more novel, if anything.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 14 of 16, by Kabukibear

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leileilol wrote:
bobdevis wrote:

Dosbox inside Dosbox?

Yo dawg, I heard you like DOSBox so we put a DOSBox in your DOSBox so you can DOSBox while you DOSBox

The HX site does mention about the recursion attempt. It's more novel, if anything.

Does anyone else get a rootkit alert when you try to download the 2.16 runtime from the HX site? The lower version dl'd fine, but avast won't even let me download 2.16

Reply 15 of 16, by kekko

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Guybrush: How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood? Carpenter: A woodchuck would chuck no amount of […]
Show full quote

Guybrush: How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?
Carpenter: A woodchuck would chuck no amount of wood since a woodchuck can’t chuck wood.
Guybrush: But if a woodchuck could chuck and would chuck some amount of wood, what amount of wood would a woodchuck chuck?
Carpenter: Even if a woodchuck could chuck wood and even if a woodchuck would chuck wood, should a woodchuck chuck wood?
Guybrush: A woodchuck should chuck wood if a woodchuck could chuck wood, as long as a woodchuck would chuck wood.
Carpenter: Oh shut up.

😀

just kidding of course