VOGONS

First post, by fdlchris

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,

I need help trying to find an old DOS game from a company called Awkward Software. It's called Bombs and Bugs. There is a v3.1 shareware version flying round the net but this is a win32 revamp.

I'm trying to find the original DOS v2.0 from back in 1997.

The filename is bugssw20.zip. I've googled it with only two links (both password protected - even though it's shareware).

I've tried many old other sites and old contacts but with no luck.
I even tried the authors (now abandoned) website but all traces of this version have been removed.

Can anyone please help?

Reply 1 of 13, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Is this not the developer's page for the game? http://www.awkward.de/bombsandbugseng.html

Shareware version 3.0 for DOS from there works fine in DOSBox 0.73 (for the limited bit I tried of it).

Reply 2 of 13, by fdlchris

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, I also have the v3.0 shareware version but the difference between v2.0 and v3.0 is immense. The game is almost completely different in terms of graphics.

IMHO, the v2.0 version is by far much better.

It's like trying to find the Holy Grail.

Reply 4 of 13, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Holy Grail? Well, not that hard to get... 😀

I shouldn't abuse vogons bandwidth with it, so I uploaded it here.

EDIT: Changed file host..

Last edited by ripsaw8080 on 2012-02-18, 23:22. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 13, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

how the

see, we're not finnish mbnet subscribers, we can't get at the good old RARE shareware stuff of the mid-late '90s that are all stuck behind a paywall on mbnet 🙁

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 7 of 13, by fdlchris

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@Ripsaw8080 - What can I say?? ... LEGEND!

I don't know how you managed to pull that one out of the bag, but AMAZING! Thank you very much!

I tried to contact the author so many times with no response. I saw the game linked on MBnet but a password was required.

It was also linked here:
http://gamedemo.networkextreme.com/games/acti … gs/download.htm
Also a password is required.

Then I found it here:
http://www.oldschooldos.com/bombsandbugs.php
This time I thought I had it, but another broken link.

This version of the game has evaded me ever since I lost my 1997 PC Gamer demo CD with it on.

Once again - thank you very much for sharing this.

P.S: What is the deal with the MBNet? I tried to register but couldn't do it? Do you have to pay to be a member? They seem to have some real classic treats in their downloads list.

Reply 8 of 13, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

No real trick involved. I created an account on MBnet with the help of the Google translation tool, as I know zero Finnish. They even allow activation of the account with a Hotmail address, when many registration systems won't; and of course not using real personal info might be wise.

There is a product or service you have to subscribe to for access to some things offered, and indeed it seemed like the shareware was included in that, because I got a stop message when I tried to download. However, it turned out I got that message because the NoScript plugin was blocking their scripts; and after allowing scripts from mbnet.fi, I was able to download with my user/pass. So, it appears anyone with an active account can download the shareware stuff free of charge; but there may be restrictions I'm not aware of.

Reply 9 of 13, by janskjaer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@ripsaw8080 - Thank you for the link. I've been looking for this game for ages. It's great to have it once again. 😀

DELL Dimension XPS M200s
:Intel P1 MMX 200MHz
:64MB EDO
:DOS 6.22/Win95b
:Matrox Millenium II + m3D (PowerVR PCX2)
Chaintech 7VJL Apogee
:AMD AthlonXP 2700+
:512MB DDR
:Win98SE/2000 SP4
:3dfx Voodoo5 5500 AGP

Reply 10 of 13, by CarlSempertRudolstad

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ripsaw8080 wrote:

Holy Grail? Well, not that hard to get... 😀

I shouldn't abuse vogons bandwidth with it, so I uploaded it here.

EDIT: Changed file host..

Hi, I've been trying to get this B&B file v2.0 for a while and now that I thought I finally got it... "invalid or deleted file". 😢
@ripsaw8080: could you please share that file again? 😁

Reply 11 of 13, by janskjaer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I still have the file (BUGSSW20.ZIP) if you want it. The only problem is I don't have a permanent location to host it, nor do I know whether it is against the rules to attach it here.

DELL Dimension XPS M200s
:Intel P1 MMX 200MHz
:64MB EDO
:DOS 6.22/Win95b
:Matrox Millenium II + m3D (PowerVR PCX2)
Chaintech 7VJL Apogee
:AMD AthlonXP 2700+
:512MB DDR
:Win98SE/2000 SP4
:3dfx Voodoo5 5500 AGP

Reply 12 of 13, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Yeah, file hosts are not terribly reliable. MediaFire is still around, but despite being demonstrably shareware the file got deleted.

Attaching a shareware game to a post isn't strictly against the forum rules because it's not illegal to distribute. However, it's not really the forum's purpose to host game downloads, so better to stick it on another file host and see how long that lasts. Maybe archive.org, as it's probably not going away anytime soon.