VOGONS

First post, by yhe1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've read the guide on Dosbox keymapping, but I can't figure out how to map multiple keys. I am trying to map Left/Right/up/Down/ to a/d/w/s. Can somebody map these keys and attach the mapper file here? Thanks.

Reply 3 of 5, by ripa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am trying to map Left/Right/up/Down/ to a/d/w/s. Can somebody map these keys and attach the mapper file here? Thanks.

I assume you mean that you want 'A' to appear in dosbox when you press the "left arrow" on your keyboard, etc. Open dosbox. Press ctrl-f1. Click on the "left arrow key" on the picture. Click on Del to delete the keybind on it (you probably don't want your left arrow key to produce both a "left arrow key" and an "A" in dosbox). Then click on the "A key" on the picture. Click Add. Press the "left arrow key" on your keyboard. Now you have two keys bound to "A": the "A key" and the "left arrow key". If you want to remove the "A keybind", click Next, then Del. Do this for the rest of the arrow keys. Then click Save (this creates the mapper.txt file). Then click Exit.

PS. If I bind both the "A key" and the "left arrow key" to "A key", I get this line in mapper.txt:

key_a "key 276" "key 97"

PS2. If you meant the other way (i.e., press 'A' on your keyboard to generate a "left arrow key" in dosbox), you can probably figure it out from these instructions.

Reply 4 of 5, by yhe1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Actually I wanted it the other way. 😀

Any way, I got some weird results when I tried to follow your directions. For example, a now type ak in X-com.

Could you map the remaining key for me, to save me this headache? when I press a, I want Dosbox to type left. I am doing this for those old FPS game that doesn't allow you to reconfigure to wsad.

Thanks.