VOGONS

The Clou!

Topic actions

First post, by myscht

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried to play german version of "the clou!" from Neo with DosBox. I just can't start up the game. There's always the following message: "Ungeeignete Speicherkonfiguration! Benuetzen Sie <SETUP>"

Unfortunately when I can't run setup properly. Does anyone know, how to cope with this problem?

Reply 2 of 13, by myscht

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It translates with something like "Unsuitable memory configuration! Use the Setup Programm". Unfortunately in the setup programm, only the midi-settings do work, the memory setting doesn't work at all.

Reply 3 of 13, by TheSeeker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Have you tried to congif -writeconfig <filename> yet?

Once you do that, you can edit how much RAM the virtual machine has, and whether certain things like EMS are used.

the two segments your'e most interested in are:

[dosbox]
# General Dosbox settings
language=
warnings=0
memsize=32

and

[dos]
# Setting a memory size to 0 will disable it.
xms=true
ems=true
dpmi=true (not sure if this one's in the non CVS build, if it's not there, don't worry)

After you've edited your config file, launch with: dosbox -conf <file name>

Similarly you can use config -writelang <filename> and then put that in the config file or use the -lang <filename> command line option. This lets you change the output messages to whatever you want. Presumably another language, but you can make the command prompt mock the user whenever they ask for help about stuff too, if you want.

Reply 4 of 13, by myscht

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for your posting. Unfrotunately it seems like this game wants a special setting for the memory, and I really don't know, what these settings are 😠
When the XMS, and EMS settings are set to "true" Dosbox is closing without any warnings.

Reply 5 of 13, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

using true and false for xms and ems will probably crash dosbox 0.58 as they are cvs only

in 0.58 you could try increasing the number of XMS and EMS

for example to 12

[dos]
ems=12
xms=12

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 7 of 13, by myscht

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I found a clue to the solution. In a "faraway" readme I found the instruction to set the "config.sys" the following way:

DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE NOEMS

So I thin te second one is only setting the EMS=0. But what can I do to set the HIMEM?

Reply 10 of 13, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by myscht I tried to play german version of "the clou!" from Neo with DosBox. I just can't start up the game.

Have you tried running this natively in your OS (whatever that may be)?

BTW, the English version of this game apparently had memory problems as well. Mok fixed that version.

Reply 11 of 13, by myscht

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry I completely forgot to tell.
Im running Windows XP on a Pentium4 1,8GHz
I found a patch to run it on Win32 and the game actually works, but there is no sound. That's why I wanted to ask, if anyone knows how to make it run with DosBox

Reply 12 of 13, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by myscht Im running Windows XP on a Pentium4 1,8GHz
I found a patch to run it on Win32 and the game actually works, but there is no sound.

Then try running it with VDMSound instead. The English version ran fine with VDMSound once the memory issue was fixed.