VOGONS

First post, by Bernie157

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello. I am a user of most of the versions of MYM for DOS that have come out from 1985 through 1996 and have run them under OS's from DOS 2.1 through 6.0 and Windows 3.1, 9x, XP, and now Windows 7 32-bit.

Windows 7 32-bit runs MYM fairly cleanly but not perfectly, namely it does not produce MYM's sounds nor allow displaying of MYM's graphs. First I tried VirtualBox (with a copy of XP installed in it) and that did part of the job.

Just in the last couple of days I installed and started using DOSBOX 0.74. I like it overall, esp. that it accesses all the files that MYM would if I start it from a Windows shortcut. I think DOSBOX/MYM has terminated itself a couple of times. Sometimes an MYM function runs exceedingly slow, and full-screen (Alt-Enter) may run even slower.

I am trying to understand the config settings and keyboard mapping to see if any should be tweaked for MYM and/or for the machine I mostly run MYM on. I'd like to know how to make the Window larger rather than run full-screen.

The machine is a Toshiba L505D-S5983 laptop with Athlon Dual-Core II M300 CPU, 3 GB RAM, 300+ GB HD. It has a full keyboard including numeric keypad, which I usually run with Num Lock turned ON but those keys are "dead" to MYM in DOSBOX.

Also, is there a way to print? MYM wants to print to LPT1: while I have a LAN-connected printer. In Windows I issue the command NET USE LPT1: \\computername\HPD7260 which works fine. Can DOSBOX somehow be defined as part of my home network or otherwise make it print through to Windows?

Thanks in advance for any help while I continue to try to learn myself.

Bernie in CT

Reply 3 of 13, by JWH

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Have you tried DOSPRN?

I got MYM 12 running fine in Windows 7 Enterprise 64 bit but, after a couple of weeks, I now cannot validate data or run "money" reports; I get "wait" blinking and hitting escape closes the session. What a bummer!
I would appreciate any suggestions you have to set it up with DOSBOX 0.74 as that's my next option? Also, if I'm successful in DOSBOX, I'll be happy to share whatever printing solutions I discover.

Jack

Reply 4 of 13, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Have you tried TameDOS?
http://www.tamedos.com/

There's at least one report out there coming out in favor of using it to run MYM. It is unfortunately not free.

Reply 7 of 13, by JWH

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks, I did. Also, I emailed about the ability to try it out before purchasing but didn't receive a response. Fortunately, in the meantime, I removed, downloaded and reinstalled Windows XP Mode and MYM ver. 12 for DOS is again functioning normally.

Cheers!

Jack

Reply 8 of 13, by JWH

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

PS Also, by running DOSPRN under Windows XP Mode, I can print to a USB connected printer. I found DOSBOX SO slow that I could not continue using MYM DOS; if that were my only option, I would select another financial program.

Reply 9 of 13, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I found DOSBOX SO slow that I could not continue using MYM DOS

Then don't use it. But promised most people are clever enough to configure
dosbox correctly so things don't run SO SLOW because they can read.

Reply 10 of 13, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
JWH wrote:

Thanks, I did. Also, I emailed about the ability to try it out before purchasing but didn't receive a response.

So you missed the whacking huge "Downloads" link on the left side?

Reply 11 of 13, by LarryH49

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ONe way to print from MYM is to print to file in REPORT format. name the file name.txt (such as dec2010.txt) then find the file open with MS word. change margins very small and edit out some lines at top of some pages to help with pagination. I use this to print my reports.
cheers,
Larry H.

Reply 12 of 13, by lottem

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I found running MYM 12 under DOSBOX somewhat slow. Performance was much improved when I made the following changes to the DOSBOX configuration file.

# This is PART OF the configuration file for DOSBox 0.74.
#
# THESE ARE THE CHANGES I MADE TO MAKE MYM RUN FASTER
#
[dosbox]
# memsize=16
memsize=30

[cpu]

# core=auto
core=dynamic
# cycles=auto
cycles=max

[autoexec]
# Lines in this section will be run at startup.
# You can put your MOUNT lines here.
mount c c:\
c:
path=c:\users\edlott\dosbox;c:\users\edlott\dosbox\pgms;c:\users\edlott\dosbox\batch
cd \users\edlott\dosbox
path
DIR
@echo "<<== CTLF10 Will Release the Mouse ==>>"