VOGONS

First post, by Xenphor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've been reading in the readme for the Collector's Edition that they supposedly added support for the CH Throttle using a file called tiecd.key. Unfortunately it seems this file is only meant for the software that programs the CH stick. Other fixes for joysticks also were only specific to those sticks. Is there anyway to get dosbox to utilize any of these extra functions?

Reply 1 of 7, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Did you try the following fix available here?:

http://www.lucasarts.com/support/update/tie.html

Patch Name: Joystick Update […]
Show full quote

Patch Name: Joystick Update

Platform: PC

Format: CD-ROM

Size: 514 KB

Min. Requirements: N/A

Posted: 9/95

Installation: This update will prompt you for the location of the game (where to install the patch), so have this information available before double-clicking on the update file.

WINDOWS 95

Double-click on the "tiecdjoy.exe" file to begin the installation.

DOS

In this example, we have TIE FIGHTER CD-ROM installed on our "C" drive and in the "TIECD" directory. Type "tiecdjoy.exe c:\TIECD" and hit the ENTER key. Before the decompression process can begin, you will receive a prompt that states "Unzip file? [Y|N]", hit the "Y" key to continue.

Corrects: This update should cure problems which some users have experienced with the CD version of TIE Fighter when using the Microsoft Sidewinder 3D Pro, the Suncom Raptor, or other joysticks which may incorporate controls using axes from joystick 2.

Notes: This update will ONLY work if you have done the MAXIMUM or RECOMMENDED install. It will NOT work with the MINIMUM install. If you have done the MINIMUM install, you need only run the install program again and select either of the two larger install options. You don't need to delete your previous installation, and your pilot files (*.TFR) will remain intact.

File: TIECDJOY.EXE (LucasArts FTP Site)

Reply 2 of 7, by Xenphor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes I used the patch. I still can't get a throttle or rudder to work on an axis. I tried using two different joysticks with the 2axis option but only was able to get one to work for looking around. The otherjoystick's buttons were functional but the axis was not. The 4axis, fcs, or ch just let me use the first two axes for looking around and that's it. I do get the added two buttons but apparently not the added two axes. I also tried swapping the 3rd and 4th axes but it didn't seem to do anything. Is this supposed to work or is it just not functioning in tie fighter?

Reply 3 of 7, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd also like to know how exactly the "fcs" and "ch" options are supposed to work. I never could get the dpad (=coolie hat) or throttle/rudder functions to work. It wasn't a big deal for me though, so I've just mapped the "throttle +" and "throttle -" keys to buttons/axes on my controller, for example. I never fully understood whether DOSBox is supposed to emulate fcs/ch hardware or not (and how to assign controls to the emulated axes), or if these options are there to "route" original hardware to the emulation.

Reply 4 of 7, by Xenphor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Emulating the fcs or ch works well in descent where those joysticks are specifically supported. You just select them in the options and then you either get access to the 4 axes 6 buttons and a hat of the CH or 3 axes 4 buttons and a hat of the FCS. I don't believe tie fighter has any options to support any of these. I'm not even sure how many dos games support more than 2 axes and a couple of buttons.

Reply 6 of 7, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I got some throttle control in TIE Fighter CD using a Sidewinder Precision Pro Joystick.

Dosbox 0.74 with DOSBOX.CONF: swap34=true
Then running the TSR joy.com before starting the game: xwjoy.txt xwjoy.zip

It does not increase very smooth, going from 0, 33, 66 to 100% throttle.

Edit, a similar topic: Looking for X-Wing Throttle patch (xwjoy.zip/joy.com)

PS. note that there is always another throttle and roll control method in this game: by keeping button 2 pressed then moving the joystick.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 7 of 7, by StarAce

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, I tried the patch - no results. My Precision Pro 2 is recognized by DOSBOX but no throttle, no coolie hat 🙁

Anyone has a specific mapping file for the Presion Pro 2? Is there a program which allows to map the buttons of the joystick to specific options?