VOGONS

First post, by arablizzard2413

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Elfland (download the shareware version here) has problems detecting the soundblaster for playing the digital sound samples and will revert to playing from the screeching pc speaker. The sounds will play if sbtype=sbpro1 and nothing else, however the adlib music will refuse to play unless you set oplmode=opl2 or opl3 then (obviously no soundblaster pro 1 came with an opl chip 😜 ). I distinctly remember the digital sounds and music playing on my Soundblaster 16 back in the day, is it possible there's some bug with dosbox preventing it from being detected properly?

Edit: forgot to mention I'm running 0.74 on Windows 7 x64, but it's been a problem in 0.72 and 0.73 too.

Reply 2 of 3, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

If you read the GO.BAT file included with the shareware version, it mentions that you must have the CT-VOICE.DRV driver file. Are you using the shareware version, or a registered version?

The difficulty with the CT-VOICE.DRV drivers is that they are very picky about the DSP version of the SoundBlaster, and won't work if it isn't what they're looking for. I first encountered this difficulty with a game called "Innocent Until Caught". If you download this driver update zip, it contains (inside yet another self-extractor archive) a driver that will work with sbtype=sbpro2 if you put it in the game folder. It works for the shareware version of Elfland; don't know about others.

BTW, games that use the driver look for a SOUND environment variable that has a path to where the SB files are installed, but this particular game will also look for the driver in the game folder.

Reply 3 of 3, by arablizzard2413

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm using the registered version, if I remember right it was distributed by GT Interactive and sold at Wal-mart a really long time ago with both games on one floppy. Anyway, that file is included on the disk. I suspected it was the CT-VOICE.DRV file but I wasn't sure, I tried using the one included with the latest Sounblaster 16 drivers in the past and that didn't work. I'll try this one then, thank you.