VOGONS

Wipeout 1995 supported?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by jifjosh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Supposedly WipeOut 1995 came online as "supported" with .70 Dosbox, and while you might say that it does load, it's certainly not playable. The game loads into another Dos screen claiming that my disc is invalid, which is completely incorrect, saying "Piracy is theft etc" with a number to reach Psygnosis, who if I remember correctly went defunct a while ago.

I searched for an answer on this site and found a most unhelpful mod claiming they don't support "abandonware" when .72 was released earlier this year and this specific game in question was recently added to the supported column the version just prior.

How might I get Dosbox to realize that my cd is authentic? Edit: I've tried it with different computers and while I could go try it on my mac, the only issue would be the instructions are based on having the folders in your personal files, nothing about cd's, which the game claims to need.

Reply 2 of 5, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Wipeout works no problem on 0.74, just tested.
Simply mount your CD-ROM drive (in addition to mounting the C: where a \wipeout folder will be created for data) then run it from the disc. There is no install process and if there was one then it's definitely not authentic.

Psygnosis is not defunct - Wipeout was their flagship game with their merging with SONY. The Psygnosis brand only died. The IP belongs to SONY.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 3 of 5, by Lazar81

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sry to wake that up, but I have the same "piracy" problem and nothing worked. Neither an image nor simply mounting the CD ROM plus c:
Did i misunderstood something?

BTW: it is no download. I bought the original CD

Ryzen 5 2600X - ASUS ROG STRIX X470-F Gaming - 32GB RAM - Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti

Reply 4 of 5, by Lazar81

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well. According to what i read in another forum the problem seems to be that mounting the CD ROM drive establishes a copy of the drive in dosbox. I don't know if I understood that correctly. But it seems that wipeout thinks it runs from a copied version due to that mounting mechanism. That would also explain why an image isn't accepted as well. I am getting the game work with moslo but I have to only run it without the nice intro video.

Ryzen 5 2600X - ASUS ROG STRIX X470-F Gaming - 32GB RAM - Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti

Reply 5 of 5, by Lazar81

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Folks, I found the problem. It was me... 😀
So for everyone who is running into same problem with this game. DON'T MOUNT THE WIPEOUT CD JUST AS FOLDER. You have to mount the CDROM drive as CDROM drive. Put in your disc and lift-off. Everything runs perfectly.

No: mount d d:\
Yes: mount d d:\ -t CDROM