VOGONS

First post, by oneirotekt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I noticed that the Tandy sound emulation in DOSBox 0.60 has been updated, and wanted to take it for a spin. Problem is, I can't seem to figure out how to get it working in Maniac Mansion and Zak McKraken. I know with later LEC games like Monkey1 you can supply command line switches for different graphics and sound modes, but none of that seems to work here, and I can't seem to find a SHIFT-[letter key] command that changes the sound in-game. These games did support Tandy 3-voice sound, right? How does one enable it?

Reply 1 of 4, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by oneirotekt I know with later LEC games like Monkey1 you can supply command line switches for different graphics and sound modes, but none of that seems to work here, and I can't seem to find a SHIFT-[letter key] command that changes the sound in-game.

All I found was this for Zak:[code]Run game with "Zak p" to use preferences (or Shift-R)

Shift : M mouse on/off
J joystick on/off
C/E/V CGA/EGA/VGA
H/T Hercules/Tandy
S smooth scrolling on/off
<> text speed
W/R write/restore preferences

U/J I/O/K/L inventory up/down corner items
F1-4 switch char
F5 save/load
F6 sound on off
F8 restart
space pause

Ctrl-C quit[/code]Can't find anything on Maniac Mansion.

These games did support Tandy 3-voice sound, right? How does one enable it?

Maybe. MOBYGAMES lists Tandy audio support for both, but it's possible that it might only exist on certain releases.

I recently picked up "LucasArts Classic Adventures", so (if I can find the time) I'll try test the versions in that release.

Reply 2 of 4, by priestlyboy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It is basically the exact same thing as in Zak.
I found the PC Manual for it just recently.
I'll add it as an attachement. (txt file)

Ieremiou

PS: I've played Maniac Mansion, but I can't seem to get CTRL-C to work. I push the combination but it doesn't quit the game. Not sure what's wrong.

Attachments

• Filename
    maniacmansionpcmanual.txt
    File size
    15.17 KiB
    Downloads
    337 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 4 of 4, by oneirotekt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So, could I be correct in assuming that if Zak or MM detects Tandy sound hardware, it will automatically use it?

What are some other games that use Tandy 3-voice, so I could test DOSBox 0.60's support for it?

Nicht: Yeah, I ran across that too, thanks for finding it though!

Last edited by oneirotekt on 2003-11-24, 16:59. Edited 1 time in total.