VOGONS

First post, by Megachile

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am using an old DOS-based database Cardbox-Plus (ver 3.5 from 1986). Yes, I know DOSBox is primarily intended for old DOS games, but thought I should give it a try.

Does anyone have any experiences with running Cardbox in DOSBox?
I’ve tried, but Cardbox behaves strange when trying to open the database-files, can give more details if I get a response to this.

If DOSBox is not suitable for databases, any other suggestions?

I am using Windows 2000 SP-4 on a new PC.

Thanks!

Reply 1 of 7, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

well there is little difference between programs and games.

So go ahead with your error message.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 2 of 7, by Megachile

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks!
First how Cardbox behaves in windows 2000:
I can open any of my databases without problems. However, navigating between the records must be done with great care (i.e. slowly, letting the PC finish performing one command before entering the next) otherwise Cardbox “stumbles” and the current record gets corrupt, usually also the neighbouring recs. Editing records, or adding new ones may work for a short while, until records get corrupt here as well. Continued use of the database will invariably render the whole database file corrupt.
Things go better in full screen mode than in a window, but sooner or later it will crash.

DOSBox:
In DOSBox I can’t even open a database.
Somehow DOSBox manage to skip Cardbox’ intro screen (with programme name, ver no etc.). The user is supposed to press spacebar to get past this intro screen, but DOSBox apparently press spacebar for you, all you see is a short glimpse and the next screen is there. (This is not a problem for me, but may be useful for diagnosis).

The next screen lets you choose what to do, default is “open an existing database” and then you are requested to enter the filename of that database. Having done this and pressed <enter> the filename should move up to another position in this screen, but it doesn’t. The filename just disappears from the screen. Because of this I cannot proceed.

Any ideas why Cardbox cannot take this filename input? I realise the description above might be too Cardbox-specific to be of much use.

I’ve tried with a small database (29 kB) and a larger one (4,1 Mb).
Cardbox consists of two files; one COM-file and one with extension OVR (don’t know what it contains), each file is about 50 k.

rgds

Reply 3 of 7, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Megachile I am using an old DOS-based database Cardbox-Plus (ver 3.5 from 1986).

The older version of this?

If so, it may be a bugger to get it working properly:
http://www.cardbox.co.uk/cboxplus.htm

Reply 4 of 7, by Megachile

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks,
Yes, my version is older than Cardbox-Plus 4.1.

I’ve seen the device driver CBOXPLUS.386 made to fix a problem under Win 3.1, but I had no problem under this win-version.
I doubt if the driver will work with win2000, but I haven’t dared to try since I don’t know much about consequences of modifying the SYSTEM.INI-file.

Reply 5 of 7, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

hmm is it availabe somewhere ?
a .com file of 50 kb is usually understandable.
There's probably a bug in our file routines somewhere.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 6 of 7, by Megachile

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am now running Cardbox Plus under Win95 on a separate PC that I have borrowed — an awkward solution! In the long run I’ll probably end up using Mr Gates’ Access, which is a pity because I find Cardbox quite attractive, even (the evaluation version of) ‘Cardbox for Windows’.