VOGONS

First post, by Spectre Alpha

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've been trying to get Syndicate Plus running on my laptop, and i'm either gunna succeed or die miserably. . . i'm pretty computer savvy but i'm new to DOSBox/D-Fend and haven't used DOS in years. I can't seem to get it to install properly, and i already scanned the forums but no luck. Was hoping some of you might be kind enough to help me out? A whole lotta genuine thanks in advance. . .

relevant specs:
Toshiba Satellite L355D
AMD Turion 64 x2 2.00Ghz procs
Vista Home Premium 32-bit (pukes)
ATI Radeon X1250 128mb (coughs)
WS display, native res @ 1440x900, 32-bit

I found my old Syndicate Plus CD several months ago, it was pretty scratched up and a friend recommended he make an ISO for me. I didn't know any better at the time, but i figured i might be able to use Daemon Tools to install it properly at some point. Problem is, since my old PC crached i'm now stuck w/ a pos Vista laptop, the Rain Man of operating setups, to be sure. . .

So i mount the image, go to the drive folder and try to run 'synd.exe', which i was 95% sure wouldn't work anyway since installing an old DOS game in Vista is like trying to nail jelly to a wall. It generated the expected error message:

'16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem
E:\SYND.EXE
This system does not support fullscreen mode. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.' Close / Ignore

The 'Ignore' button, of course, didn't do anything but instruct Bill Gate's b@stard child to 'Ignore' me, lmao.

So anyway, i know that getting it installed properly is the first step, the second step is getting it to run on a widescreen display, which means getting it to run in a window (and hopefully magnify the image somehow so that the 640x480 resolution looks larger than a postage stamp on my screen). I used the original D-Fend frontend on my old XP system to run legacy games, but i know it has since been discontinued and i know absolutely nothing about DOSBox, command line parameters or how it configures game files. The only other thing i know that might help at some point, is that according to http://syndicate.lubie.org/synd/html/synd_run_dosbox.php , i only need to copy the the 'SB16' folder to 'C:\Synd' if i'm trying to run the CD version rather than the floppy version. However, i don't know if that really applies to me since all i have now is the ISO? Do i need to somehow unpack it and edit the the game data to make it run? I'm not sure what do from here, but if any of you would be willing to walk me through the process it would really make my day. I started playing the original Syndicate (without American Revolt) 17 years ago on a 386, and it really is amazing what Bullfrog was able to create . . . GTA wouldn't exist without it, along with many other titles . . . i just wanna play it through one last time, it's one of the best games ever made IMNSHO. . . --Spectre

"There are no stupid questions; only stupid people who *ask* questions. . ." - Rock Slide

LIBERTY AND JUSTICE FOR ALL!

(offer not available in some areas,
prices subject to change)
-- bumper sticker

Reply 1 of 4, by bloodbat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Read this:
60 seconds guide to getting your game to run in DOSBox
You are trying to install it from WITHIN DosBox and NOT a Vista CMD window (might look like DOS but it most definitely isn't), right?
What are your DosBox mounts?
An ISO of the CD Version is (mostly) for all intents and purposes...the CD version, just assume you're not using physical media but virtual one.

Reply 2 of 4, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There are new frontends such as D-Fend Reloaded and DBGL.

I found using SYND.EXE fails to launch the game. All it manages to do is setup the sound. Then it crashes when I select either Syndicate or American Revolt.

Here's what worked for me.

Place Syndicate_Plus.iso in C:\DOS\GAMES\SYND

To save typing it place this in DOSBox.conf under [autoexec]
MOUNT C C:\DOS\GAMES -t dir -freesize 200
IMGMOUNT D C:\DOS\GAMES\SYND\Syndicate_Plus.iso -t iso
D:

You can run SYND.EXE but all it does is create 2 save folders in C:\SYND and the SYND.INF file which has
main /c0 /iirq7 /idma1 /iio220

To view the Syndicate Intro type
CD\ SB16\SYNDICAT
INTRO.EXE

To play Syndicate type
CD\ SB16\SYNDICAT
MAIN

To view the Amercican Revolt Intro type
CD\ SB16\DATADISK
INTRO

To play Amercican Revolt type
CD\ SB16\DATADISK