VOGONS

First post, by remixor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I'm having trouble getting King's Quest VI to run. I get the same error whether I'm using DOSBox or not:

You need 19952 more bytes of free memory available to run this game. If you have any more resident software loaded please remove it and try again.
Script #: 0, IP: 0

Any ideas? I followed the guide in the sticky post. No idea what's wrong, since it says this game is supported in the compatibility guide, and the guy who tested it says he had no problems.

Reply 3 of 13, by parapente

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That is really strange. When I start dosbox and run "mem" I get that I have 637Kb of free conventional memory. Than means that only 3Kb of the conventional memory is being used! Most of the dos games need about 580-600Kb of conventional memory to run and as they aren't used to seeing that much free memory they get confused, asking for more. Usually what you need to do is to run loadfix to allocate some memory and have "mem" show about 580-600Kb free conv. memory and you are set. If that doesn't work then something else is going on... No pc has more than 640Kb of conventional memory and I don't think the game needs more than 16MB of RAM.

Reply 6 of 13, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

How much more does it say you need if you have it eat, say, 128KB of RAM? Maybe there's a point where it just freaks out and gives nonsensical numbers because there's too much RAM available.

Reply 7 of 13, by remixor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here is everything I tried:
Note that whenever I got a "You need xxxxxx more bytes..." the game would give me a loading screen, which is just a black screen with a little crown mouse cursor, then it would quit to DOS after a few seconds. Whenever it gave me an "Out of hunk space" error, it would just give me the error after a few seconds with no loading screen. So here's what I did:

loadfix -128 results in:
You need 152176 more

then loadfix -12 (leaving me with 496kb free) results in:
You need 165520 more

then loadfix -128 (leaving me with 366kb free) results in a different error message:
Out of hunk space.
Script #: 0, IP: 0

then loadfix -128 (leaving me with 237kb free) results in the same "Out of hunk space" error, but now it's in a much lower resolution for some reason. I assume this is because the game tried to launch itself in 320x200 but failed and somehow it didn't get switched back.

Then I did loadfix -f to put everything back to normal and did loadfix -256 (leaving me with 380kb free), which resulted in "Out of hunk space" again

Then loadfix -f again then loadfix -200 (leaving me with 436kb free), which resulted in "You need 225904 more bytes etc."

I stopped after this. BTW, I just checked the KQ6 box, and it says it needs 640kb of memory to run. DOSBox seems to provide 637kb of free conventional memory by default. Could this be the problem? I don't know how extended and expanded memory come into play.

Reply 8 of 13, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

it's impossible to get 640 kb free.
it's actually impossible to get 637 kb free 😀 That's why loadfix exists.

But kqVI might look like a protected mode game and maybe it wan't more XMS

try setting the memsize(configfile) to higher value.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 10 of 13, by remixor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Obix: sorry, could you maybe explain a bit more?

Harekiet: When I installed, I did set it to use xms/ems.

Thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate it. Hopefully we can figure out what's going on.

Reply 11 of 13, by Xelasarg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just tried KQ6 on DOSBox 0.60 and it runs fine...

The default 16 MB value of the memsize option is sufficient to run KQ6, so are the XMS=true / EMS=true / DPMI=true settings.

You might perhaps want to edit your dosbox.conf file (in your DOSBox directory, use Notepad) and change the given values, but again, KQ6 runs perfectly well with the defaults.

Try running the install.exe in your King's Quest directory and select these options:
-Music: General MIDI Sound Driver
- Speech: Sound Blaster
- Memory: Use your machine's extra memory

Hope this helps, I've got no other idea 😕

Attachments

• kq6.jpg
    Filename
    kq6.jpg
    File size
    23.64 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 12 of 13, by remixor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Xelasarg. Thanks a lot for your reply. It's good to know someone has gotten it working. Is there any way I could get you to post a quick list of the exact steps you took to get the game working? Did you run the game's original install using DOSBox, etc., stuff like that. It's still not working for me for some reason 🙁

Reply 13 of 13, by Xelasarg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hmm...

I didn't do anything special, just opened DOSBox, ran install and played it.

At least you get a loading screen, KQ6 obviously doesn't crash due to an incompatibility with DOSBox. Something's simply eating up too much memory. I've got the floppy version - if you're you using the CD-ROM edition, maybe disabling speech and/or music will help.

Good luck 😉 !

P.S.: I've just deactivated the "use extra memory" option and it works, too. Have you already tried that?