VOGONS

Discworld games - cannot locate CD

Topic actions

Reply 22 of 30, by Manias

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My my what strange problems you guys are having!
My discworld runs fine.. I'll just post my commandline in the shortcut:
DOSBox-0.61\dosbox.exe" -conf "C:\Program Files\DOSBox-0.61\dosbox.conf" -c "mount c C:\" -c "mount -t cdrom d e:\" -c "c:"
the conf is just standard from a new install..
Discworld 1 works fine but stutters if i run it on the original cd. Made an iso and mounted that now runs perfectly! No cd problems at all..

Reply 23 of 30, by Toinette

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is this ONLY about Discworld 1?
What do you do about Diccworld 2, ripped version from the Home of the Underdogs? In DOSBox 0.61, the game demands the Discworld CD, and that's it.
I have DW2 unzipped in C:\DW2. How do I make it think this is the Discworld CD?

Reply 24 of 30, by Nelinas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Manias wrote:
My my what strange problems you guys are having! My discworld runs fine.. I'll just post my commandline in the shortcut: DOSBox- […]
Show full quote

My my what strange problems you guys are having!
My discworld runs fine.. I'll just post my commandline in the shortcut:
DOSBox-0.61\dosbox.exe" -conf "C:\Program Files\DOSBox-0.61\dosbox.conf"
-c "mount c C:"
-c "mount -t cdrom d e:"
-c "c:"
the conf is just standard from a new install..
Discworld 1 works fine but stutters if i run it on the original cd. Made an iso and mounted that now runs perfectly! No cd problems at all..

My, my thank you so much! The solution has all the time been under our very noses. Finally the game does noy demand the discworld CD (I have in mind DW2).
BUT - I cannot capture the mouse, I mean I don't have a mouse pointer within the game. Do you have any ideas?

Reply 25 of 30, by raygundan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Can anybody confirm that they got rid of the "Cannot find CD" error? There seems to be some confusion here-- the link to the detailed install walkthrough from HOTU appears to be from an older version of their CD rip download for Discworld 2. The current version of the zip from their site does not have any of the other zip files mentioned in the walkthrough in it, or any of the extra directory structure.

So I'm right where several other posters are-- Discworld 1 works beautifully in DosBox, sound and all. Discworld 2 dumps out with the message "Discworld cannot locate the Discworld CD."

I have tried mounting the DW2 folder as d, e, and a few other random letters, with and without aspi.

Can anybody with a recent copy of discworld 2 from HOTU that had the "cannot locate CD" error and now has it working explain very slowly and carefully how they did it with DOSBox 0.61, and what their exact config is? A number of people in this thread seem frustrated by the issue, and I think the root problem is that everybody who has it working has a different fileset from HOTU than the people who don't.

Reply 26 of 30, by Nelinas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a recent HOTU DW2 version. I had the problem with "cannot locate CD".
I did exactly what Manias said. I don't have the problem anymore. The game is running.
See the command line in Manias' post.

Reply 27 of 30, by raygundan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm not at home, so I will test his exact config this evening. It looks nearly identical to my cd config, though-- the only difference is that he does:

mount -t cdrom d e:\

and I do:

mount d e:\ -t cdrom

Is this my goofup? If not (if the commands are equivalent, as it seems to be-- the CD mounts when I do it with the -t at the end) my question is... what are you putting in e:\? A CD with a copy of the files from the HOTU .zip? Nothing? Some other random CD?

I'll let you know if flipping the parameters around changes anything.

Reply 28 of 30, by raygundan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have tested the exact parameters from his post. No luck. I have tried my real d:\ and e:\ drives, and mapped them both to virtual d and e in dosbox. I can successfully cd to my virtual cd-rom and look at the disc contents, so the mapping is working fine.

I assume you need something in the cd-rom drive letter you map, or this mapping wouldn't be necessary-- so I'm currently using a CD that contains all the files from the HOTU download. Is this right? Should I have something else in there? Does the CD need a particular name? Does it need to be reformatted in any special way to be recognized?

Thanks for your help!

Reply 29 of 30, by raygundan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I managed to track down the full version of the game. I can install it and run it in DOSBox, but that leaves me with two issues: the sound stutters, and i'd prefer to have the whole thing installed on the hard drive.

I'm still unable to get the HOTU version to work. I believe that if I can get it to start, I can copy the rest of the game data files into the folder with it to get sound.

Reply 30 of 30, by Nelinas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I had the game unzipped in C:\DW2 - I don't know if this matters, since we are dealing with emulation, but still I did so.
Then I did the following:
z:> mount c c:\
z:> mount -t cdrom d:\
z:> c:
c:>cd DW2
c:>dw2\dw2.bat