VOGONS

Crusader No Remorse

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by mappoule

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
I still have problems with Crusader, No remorse

When I launch it , error
"Halted file memory\cprotmem.c line 1691"

Bye

+-----------------+
Dosbox 0.60
+-----------------+
P4 1.8Go
Ram : 320 Mo
DD : 20 Go
Dell optiplex GX260
videocard : i810
+-----------------+

Reply 2 of 16, by Darkstar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

According to the debugger output if you try to start that game, it's because of missing/incomplete FPU support.

If you disable DPMI ("dpmi=off" in dosbox.conf) then dosbox exits with some unsupported CPU instruction.

So you might try again when FPU support has been added to dosbox, or when the missing CPU function(s) have been implemented, whichever comes first...

--Darkstar

Reply 3 of 16, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

nah the problem is an a different area. FPU emulation is present and should suffice for almost everygame.

It's probably that the dosextender isn't supported yet and the game executes non-code.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 6 of 16, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

though you are right, pentagram will most likely support the Crusades on Windows, it will also support it on all platforms dosbox runs as well...
(and before you ask, development of Pentagram is a bit slow atm, becuase the devs are busy with other stuff)

Reply 7 of 16, by teamster1975

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi Dominus
Yeah I realise that progress is slow 😁
I've been following Exult since Jeff's original map viewer, and I remember how long it took to take shape 😉, but what an incredible program it is now!
I've had a lot of enjoyment following the progress and the occasionally OT 😜 forum posts!
Out of curiosity, what are everyones plans when no more can be done to improve Exult? Are there any other projects apart from Pentagram on the go?

Teamster

Reply 8 of 16, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Plans? There are no plans. Probably everyone moves on to something else. Jeff will most likely be sticking with his Exult Studio baby and I'm going to stick with that and Pentagram for now (anyone wondering, I'm not a programmer, just the testing/support/documentation/faq -guy).

Reply 9 of 16, by teamster1975

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well you may not be a programmer but you've got a fair amount of knowledge!
I guess I talk of plans because when you've followed something for a long time you care about where people move onto. Even though I imagine hardly anyone knows each other personally it's like an online group of friends 😀

Reply 13 of 16, by priestlyboy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

hey guys,

I've been testing DosBox ever since 0.60 came out and the guys at http://www.mypixels.dk/forums started compiling the CVS there.
Many, many games are coming to life in the CVS so if you really want to see what's going on go to that link above. It has started support of Privateer which i've been really getting back into. It was one of those games that was *impossible* to support well think again. I don't know if they removed the paging break in the normal dosbox exectuable but dosbox_debug will run privateer.
So it looks very good that Crusader: NO Remorse.. (maybe even No Regret it's sequel) will be supported really soon. I hope, I hope.

BTW
It's too bad that Origin had to subccome to being bought out by EA. I believe that's part of what happened. They never made any good games really since then. I wish they could have made that third Crusader sequel but they "postponed" it for Privateer 2 which they though they could possibly get a better sale with. Well they never have developed Crusader 3 which I think was going to be No Mercy... not sure.. but that would have been cool. No Remorse, No Regret, No Mercy. What a series :-p...

But Privateer 2 was ok. But it still didn't make you feel like Privateer 1 did.

and The Ultima Online crap, I never got into I wish it was better supported and stuff but oh well. Things move on. But with persistent devs we can go back. hehe

So if you Really want to get your games running use the CVS (not offically supported) but it's better this way. 🤣

Ieremiou

Reply 14 of 16, by War_Tourist

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Having worked for Origin for 3 years I can tell you you've got it all wrong. Origin would have folded if EA did buy them, something the original founders were desperate to keep from happening. Crusader 3 was a tech demo that was floated around the studio, but no team was ever assigned to it. Privateer 2 was done at Warthog, Chris Robert's brothers company in England. It was orignially called the Darkening, then EA got scared of the sales forcasts without a franchise attached. Thus Privateer 2 was born.

FYI

Reply 15 of 16, by icemann

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Having played Ultima Online for 5 years (stopped after that, which was 4 years back), it wasn`t a bad game AT ALL. Great for anyone who loved Ultima 8 back in the day. Though the game sucked once they changed the game into one land of goodie goodie areas where you couldn`t pvp (player vs player) and an alternate dark version land where pvp was enabled. Before the above was added to the game, Ultima Online had a HUGE sense of fear which I have never seen in any game since or before. And once that was gone I stopped playing, as did alot of my friends as there was nothing to fear when going to dungeons or spawn areas, where before there had been the whole "ahhhhhhhhhhh its a PK (player killer). EVERYBODY RUN!!!!", quickly followed by everyone running in every direction. I nearly had several heart attacks (not literaly) when running from PKs back then. Man those were the days.

Two stones, two crosses, the rest is just icing. - 7th Guest