VOGONS

Monkey Island

Topic actions

First post, by RamboBones

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm having trouble getting The Curse Of Monkey Island to work. I'm running the original game in CD version. After starting in dos box the screen starts to fade in and then suddenly dos box closes, a message is printed to the normal dos console window just before it closes but I don't have time to read it, something about 'fatal .... segment ....' those are the only two words I can catch. I've checked the dos box compatability page and it says that all versions of the game should work. Any ideas?

Reply 1 of 17, by RamboBones

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hmm... I restarted my computer and it doesn't crash anymore but now it's saying 'cd-rom drive or MSCDEX nor installed'

Last edited by RamboBones on 2003-10-25, 03:50. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 9 of 17, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Snover is right. I remember it to be a windows executable on 2 CDs. If memory serves me well....

* MONKEY ISLAND (I)
* MONKEY ISLAND: LE CHUCK'S REVENGE (II)
* THE CURSE OF MONKEY ISLAND (III)
* ESCAPE FROM MONKEY ISLAND (IV)

Correct me if i'm missing something. I think both I and II were DOS games while III and IV are windows ones. Not sure if III came for ms-dos too, though.

Reply 11 of 17, by [vEX]

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm pretty sure he's talking about the CD-version of first one (the one with digital audio tracks) or Monkey Island Madness (Monkey Island with audio-tracks and MI2 style UI, Monkey Island 2 and a demo of Monkey Island 3).

Antec P182B | Asus P8Z77-V PRO | Intel i5 3570k | 16GB DDR3 | 4TB HDD | Pioneer BDR-207D | Asus Xonar DX | Altec Lansing CS21 | Eizo EV2736W-BK | Arch Linux (64-bit/x86_64)

Reply 13 of 17, by Maal656

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

"The Secret of Monkey Island" (MI 1) and "Monkey Island: Le Chuck's Revenge" (M2) work perfect in Windows XP using ScummVM (I've played them entirely, in the CD version)

For playing "The Course of Monkey Island" (MI 3) in Windows XP it is necessary to enable "Windows 95 compatibility" in the Properties Windows. (After right-clicking with the mouse in the icon of this game). (I think that to enable this compatibility is also necessary to install the game).

Reply 14 of 17, by gidierre

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

>I was talking about The Secret Of Monkey Island, yes the first one.

Well, MI #1 and #2 run well for me using DosBox since v. 0.58.
Sorry, RamboBones, but I don't understand what the problem would be.

Reply 16 of 17, by wilster_

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hmmm strang... comi dosnt run in dos.
works fine on my pc all the time.
try insterting cd1 and copy all files over to hard drive uner comi. then do the same in the same file with disk 2. now go into run d:\ or were ever your disk goes and type install .
should work. wat version of windows r u using?