VOGONS

Master of Magic - Part 2

Topic actions

First post, by Lord Chaos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am trying to play Master of Magic and it doesn't seem to want to load save game or continue game...and in 7/10 times it will not start a new game either, it just gives me a blank screen and nothing happens, I've tried waiting for up to 15-20 minutes and nothing happens.

Has anyone else had a similar problem with Master of Magic and found a way to solve this or work around this?

Reply 1 of 21, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I experencie the same thing
I think some memory corruption is taken place
MAster of magic is known for that and on some fanpages they describe to how to avoid. the best thing is to save regularly.

I never had problems with creating a new game though.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 3 of 21, by quasarstrider

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Be sure to use the latest patch on it. MOM is buggy like hell, even with that patch, without it, doom is certain to await you.

Lovely game. Shame about the bugs. Never could finish as a Chaos wizard because Armageddon kept crashing the game.

Reply 4 of 21, by Lord Chaos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Armageddon worked fine for me way back in the origional DOS days, I have no idea if it works on DOSBox.

Ok, the save/load works perfectly as long as you do not exit DOSBox...I've been playing the same game without exiting DOSBox ever since I posted this post and I can load/save fine...but I just exited the DOSBox and now I cannot load my save games anymore or continue game, it just hangs on a black screen 🙁

Maybe someone with high knowledge of DOSBox could help?, does DOSBox have an IRC Channel?

Reply 7 of 21, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Weird that you aren't allowed to exit dosbox. I'm very sure that i do that quite often.

The only thing i know of files that is kept internal are the fcb file-dates.

Reply 8 of 21, by Lord Chaos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Qbix wrote:

Weird that you aren't allowed to exit dosbox. I'm very sure that i do that quite often.

I don't know what it is...as soon as I exit DOSBox, then any time I try to start the game up again, I cannot load or continue game...I don't even think I can start up a new game.

It may be that DOSBox is corrupting something inside MOM upon exit, perhaps something that gets accessed but not properly saved?

Reply 9 of 21, by Lord Chaos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Qbix wrote:

Master of Magic works wonderfully well in 0.58, load/save functions even after leaving the game and you can leave the game properly.

Perhaps someone who's working on DOSBox can use this knowledge to find out whats been changed from 0.58 to 0.60 that could cause this and perhaps correct it to insure maximum game compatibility.

Reply 10 of 21, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

hmmm something curious. It looks like the savegame entries don't match with the game you saved to it. So try another slot than the one you saved to.

Reply 11 of 21, by Kullervo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I used to play MOM before in Dosbox and it worked fine. Now after 2 years (and a few formats on my PC) i downloaded Dosbox 0.65. The game is fine, but i dont know why it's wayy slow when you pass your turn. It takes like 5 to 6 seconds to change turn which is really alot.
I dont know if i have to "tune" dosbox, but the CPU cycles and the frameskips seemed like the ones i used before,(20.000 and frameskip 0) and CPU is set to Dynamic. I tried to change frameskip with no changes. When i pass 30.000 cpu cycles the sound stutter....

My PC is P4 3Ghz with a Nvidia Ge Force FX 5200 with 1 Gb or RAM.

Any help pros?

Reply 13 of 21, by Kullervo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes! in the beggining! the strange is, when i got an earlier version the game runned just fine. And now with 0.65 its a bit slow.
i dont know what version it was though....
So i guess nobody can help me then....

Reply 14 of 21, by Lofty

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, I just tried MOM (latest version I think) with DosBox 0.63 and 0.65, and 0.65 is the faster of those two, for me. At the very start of the game it takes just under 2 seconds to go to Next Turn, which seems pretty normal to me, but I'm not sure I ever tried it with anything before 0.63.

Reply 15 of 21, by Kullervo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm trying to run under Xp, and its fast as it should be... but i cant get the sound to work 😜 well....the sound works with VDMSound but then it has insuficcient memory *annoooyyyyinnng* 🙄

Reply 17 of 21, by Lofty

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I tried it with VDMSound, and got it working by disabling DPMI in the VDMSound advanced options (compatibility section). Guess this saves a little memory. Still issues with sound/music...tho I don't think I'm using the latest VDMSound. Best combo I could find was setting "Not applicable" for the music (it still plays), and Sound Blaster Pro (Newer) for the sfx. Everything works fine except having sfx enabled makes the battle screens go really slow...

Reply 18 of 21, by Kullervo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

yes... thats the big problem... in the battles it almost stalls....
i guess the only hope we have is waiting for the dosbox to develop a little more. strange is that even when i put the cpo cycles up to 70.000 the next turn processing time doesent show improvements....