VOGONS

The Elder Scrolls: Arena - freezes

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by White Dust

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a little problem using Dosbox 0.60 with The Elder Scrolls: Arena.

The game it self runs as it should run (the sound lag it had under Dosbox 0.58 is gone 😀), but when I save a game in Arena dosbox freezes during the "Kindly waiteth. Ye oldy diske needs be accessed..." screen, under 0.58 dosbox didn't freeze.
The only way to quit the program is with a [ctrl][alt][del] or [ctrl][tab] or similar ways.

The strange thing is that the game is saved, but during the save proces it freezes.

Edit:
A small update: with the above situation I have used a legal version of TES: Arena, I also had a illegal downloaded version from an abandond ware site and that version did save normaly, without freeze.

I realy whant to use the origenal version becouse of the speach, the downloaded version doesn't have speach, i supose that the downloaded version the disk version whas of TES: Arena.

Last edited by White Dust on 2003-10-26, 19:31. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 15, by SoccerNWN

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have the original Arena or at least its my brothers. We spent like a hole day trying to get it to work on xp and I even called Bethesda Softworks and they didn't even no. Then I ran it on windows 95 and it worked but without sound. Now since Ive found out about dosbox I reinstalled Arena on my Windows Xp machine ane ran arena and it worked fine but the sound isnt there, whats going on?

Reply 3 of 15, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

White Dust: I don't think there's any speech in the real version, as it came on floppy disks. I think you must be confusing it with Daggerfall or something? 😕

You might try getting a patch for it on a site like http://www.patches-scrolls.de/ - maybe that will fix your problems with running the official version.

Reply 4 of 15, by White Dust

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
HunterZ wrote:

White Dust: I don't think there's any speech in the real version, as it came on floppy disks. I think you must be confusing it with Daggerfall or something? 😕

You might try getting a patch for it on a site like http://www.patches-scrolls.de/ - maybe that will fix your problems with running the official version.

Arena is released on disk and CD rom, the floppy version is without speach and the CDrom version with speach 😉
I recently bought the original CDrom version of TES:Arena, before I had the illegal downloaded disk version (wich does work completely under DOSbox 😉)

Daggerfall is runable under XP with a special boot/install program...

Reply 5 of 15, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well I got a hold of the CD-ROM version of Arena, and I can run it under WinXP using VDMSound. Unfortunately I can't play it because the mouse cursor won't move on the main menu and character point allocation screens (I can use the keyboard to bypass the former, but not the latter). I have no idea how to correct that problem, and DOSBox isn't an option for me due to the speed of my computer (or lack thereof).

Reply 7 of 15, by Kain

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Arena and Daggerfall both worked for me w/o problems on DosBOX except slowness and great under abandon loader (just a bit faster) with sound and didnt freeze at any time. (or crash)

Athlon Xp 1700+ @ 1.833ghz
ASUS A7N8X v1.4
Crucial 256mb Pc 2100 @ 166 mhz
Chaintech GeForce 4 Ti4200 128mb
Western Digital 40gb WD - 400
Windows 2000 Professional
Creative SB Live! 5.1 Dolby
Maxtop Case w/ 350w PSU

Reply 9 of 15, by i2lgames

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
White Dust wrote:

Arena is released on disk and CD rom, the floppy version is without speach and the CDrom version with speach 😉
I recently bought the original CDrom version of TES:Arena, before I had the illegal downloaded disk version (wich does work completely under DOSbox 😉)

Daggerfall is runable under XP with a special boot/install program...

"There is no speech in TES:arena cd-rom" just go to the cd-rom drive and dir. it is only 35-50Mb.

Reply 10 of 15, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
YotaMtch wrote:
I have a big problem running The Elder Scrolls : Arena with dosbox. It's awfully SLOW, and entirely unplayable. It takes 5 sec o […]
Show full quote

I have a big problem running The Elder Scrolls : Arena with dosbox. It's awfully SLOW, and entirely unplayable.
It takes 5 sec only to make 1/4 turn.

Has anyone got these problems too ? and more to the point, does anyone know of a solution ?

thanks

Read the README!

HINT: use ctrl-f12

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 11 of 15, by White Dust

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
i2lgames wrote:

"There is no speech in TES:arena cd-rom" just go to the cd-rom drive and dir. it is only 35-50Mb.

Wow, no need to get nasty etc 😉

There is speach, but it is minimal and I believe only in some cut seens, just like the scene where that dead tart is speeking to you in your dreams, in the CD version there is some sort of noice that my ears identify as 'speach' and in the disk version there are only some pixels beneath that dead girly thingy that make strange drawings that my eyes identify as 'letters' 😉

Edit:
By the way, there is a nice little directory (about 9,44MB) on the TES: Arena CD entitled "SPEACH" (yes, with capitols 😜)

Reply 14 of 15, by Kilfio

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am attatching the setup Word document that came with my download of Arena. I hope that this setup will help you all run Arena. It works fine for me, but the sound can be choppy whenever something happens.

Summary of two major problems:

Framerate: Press Ctrl and tap F12 until the FPS speeds up to around 33000.

Sound: Use the Elder Scrolls configuration program to specify the sound card. Read below for more details.

"Instructions for setting up
The Elder Scrolls: Arena
For Win2k/WinXP

Installation of The Elder Scrolls: Arena

1. Run the file “Arena106.exe”
2. This will open a new window, which will offer to extract Arena. The default destination is C:\. This is the best location to use. When you click the install button, it will create the folder C:\Arena and extract the files to that folder.
3. Next, run the installer for the DOSBox DOS Emulator. Proceed through its installation as prompted. Once DOSBox is installed, continue on.
4. Click Start, then Run. In the “Run” box, type “command” (without the quotes) and click OK. This will open a Command Prompt window.
5. At the command prompt, type “CD\ARENA” (again, without the quotes) and push Enter. If your command prompt is logged on to a drive other than C:, please type “C:” and push enter, then “CD\ARENA”, followed by Enter.
6. Once you have entered the Arena folder, type INSTALL and push Enter. This will launch the configuration program for Arena.
7. Select “Configure Game”.
8. Select “Select Sound Card”. A list will appear. Select “Sound Blaster or SB16 (or compatible)”
9. Select “Select Music Card” and do the same.
10. In yellow letters near the top of the screen, it should say:
“Sound Blaster or SB16 (or compatible) IO:220 IRQ:7 DMA:1” for both Sound and Music. If it does not, please enter the info in under both “Change Sound default” and Change music default.
11. Select Done, and then Exit.
12. Next, start the DOSbox Emulator. It should open it’s own window, logged into the Z:
13. At this prompt, type “MOUNT C C:\” and push enter. Then type “C:” and push Enter. Then “CD \ARENA”. Finally, “ARENA” to start the game.

Additional:
If you are having difficulty with the sound, or Arena fails to start but instead hangs at a black screen, likely you’ll need to match up what the emulator’s sound settings are and Arena’s configuration.

To do this, start the DOSbox emulator. When the emulator window opens, look at the lines of text within the window. One will say similar to:

“Z:\>SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 T4”

The only line you want is the one which contains “SET BLASTER”. The others may be disregarded. The example given is the default, however if your line is different, please change Arena’s sound configuration to match. The line would be represented in Arena as:

I/O Address: 220
IRQ: 7
DMA: 1
--

Performance: The default settings for the emulator will probably not be optimal for Arena. While Arena is running in the emulator, hold down the Control key and tap the F12 key a few times. This will increase the number of CPU cycles the emulator will use, which should speed up the game. Repeat the use of Control+F12 until the game runs at an acceptable rate. Please see DOSbox’s documentation for how to calculate the proper settings for the dosbox.conf file to configure CPU cycles, based on how many times you used the Control+F12 and to make it a permanent setting.

Copy Protection:
Please see the passwords.txt file in the \Arena\Docs folder for the needed passwords to exit the first dungeon.

The game will ask for the cost of a spell. The passwords.txt file contains the table. Enter the value associated with the spell to proceed."