VOGONS

First post, by HappehLemons

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

When playing Kings Quest VI using windows 3.1 sometimes a music note will not stop when it should. It will continue to play the one note until a different song is loaded.

Been going at this forever with no luck, anyone know how to fix this. I'm using windows 3.1.

Please don't say use the DOS version, because the whole reason I'm playing the Windows 3.1 version is because if offers the Higher res character pictures and SB16 sound.

Reply 1 of 10, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Have you tried another windows emulator like VMware?

Using Windows inside DOSBox isn't really supported, so don't expect too much help from this forum 🤣

As an alternative I can recommend ScummVM which you might have heard about. A while ago they started supporting Sierra games.

Please let us know how you go / if you managed to solve this issue!

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 2 of 10, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Over all, I recommend DOSBox for the SCI games, but because there are so many problems getting the more desirable Win version of KQ6 to run in modern Windows, this is one that I highly recommend using ScummVM. Just keep in mind that it can take a little tweaking to get ScummVM to use the defaults that Sierra intended. The ScummVM team seems to want to force "enhancements" on all of their users for what they think is the best experience.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 3 of 10, by HappehLemons

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ugh, I've tried to use all of the windows emulators and they're either a huge pain or don't work correctly at all.

As far as SummVM goes even though it says the windows version is supported you still get the DOS based music. I couldn't figure out a way for it to emulate the SoundBaster16 OR get the higher res character pictures. 🙁

Reply 4 of 10, by bloodbat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Odd...try an SVN ScummVM build...also, you need to configure it PROPERLY, so..you need to change the music to general midi, though that ISN'T the sound blaster music, you'll probably need to set the correct game version when adding it.
The Sound Blaster is emulated by default, no matter your music source...
Also, what do you define as Sound Blaster 16 sound? DosBox does emulate this.

Reply 5 of 10, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
HappehLemons wrote:

As far as SummVM goes even though it says the windows version is supported you still get the DOS based music. I couldn't figure out a way for it to emulate the SoundBaster16 OR get the higher res character pictures. 🙁

When adding the game you should get a choice of DOS and Windows. Select Windows, of course. As I said, it can take a little tweaking to get ScummVM to use the defaults that Sierra intended. Some of the settings you may need to check your global ScummVM settings. Also, if you want to use the Windows cursors you will need to use an SVN build and add a line of "windows_cursors=true" under the game's entry in your scummvm.ini file.

Reply 6 of 10, by HappehLemons

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
bloodbat wrote:

Odd...try an SVN ScummVM build...also, you need to configure it PROPERLY, so..you need to change the music to general midi, though that ISN'T the sound blaster music, you'll probably need to set the correct game version when adding it.
The Sound Blaster is emulated by default, no matter your music source...
Also, what do you define as Sound Blaster 16 sound? DosBox does emulate this.

Okay so I kind of got it working in ScummVM. Sometimes the music in some areas will play with the full extended instrumentals, but other times they wont 😒

When adding the game you should get a choice of DOS and Windows. Select Windows, of course. As I said, it can take a little tweaking to get ScummVM to use the defaults that Sierra intended. Some of the settings you may need to check your global ScummVM settings. Also, if you want to use the Windows cursors you will need to use an SVN build and add a line of "windows_cursors=true" under the game's entry in your scummvm.ini file.

Thanks for the cursor trick, i was wondering about that.

Reply 7 of 10, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

@ HappehLemons

Time to get a real retro PC! 🤣

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 10 of 10, by HappehLemons

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Figured it out, the SB16 drivers provided in the tutorial here a somewhat bugged(or at least in combination with dosbox) and sadly they are the same drivers that are widespread and suggested by everyone to use with win3.1.

I happened to stumble upon differenet win3.1 sb16 drivers and they work flawless.

If anyone is having strange audio problems I'd bet that it has something to do with those drivers.